1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second pregnancy after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by beachhut, Nov 2, 2011.

1. I think that you are still considered on contract during maternity leave so there isn't really any requirement to work any length of time. I'm not sure though, not relevant to my situation so haven't checked up on it.

2. I am going back for the minimum 13 weeks between first and second mat leave (or in my case, the part-time equivalent) inorder to be entitled to OMP for the first maternity leave. You'd get statutory both times even if your mat leaves ran consecutively, but happily I've managed to leave just enoguh time to get the bit of work in the middle so i get the extra OMP. Second time round OMP depends again on going back for at least 13 weeks. My children will be 16 months apart, so you will be fine, as far as I can see. Hope that helps! Exciting times anyway - good luck!

3. Betzlikemetz

Betzlikemetz New commenter

Thank you for replying. I thought I was ok but someone told me I had to work at least 4 months before I got pregnant again! Not sure I could wait that long!

4. i know your occupational maternity pay is based on your weekly average pay for the 15 weeks prior to the week you start maternity leave, so if you go on maternity leave at 38 weeks, what you earn between 23 weeks and 38 weeks will be used as the basis to work out your maternity pay, and if you're on maternity leave, that'll be basically nothing x