1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second post I have decided to become a TA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Mollymop5, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Mollymop5

Mollymop5 New commenter

Ok so this may be s long one.This is my second post related to this subject, I originally thought about becoming
    A primary teacher but have decided on becoming a TA, then HLTA.

This is due to a number of factors

1 our daughter is 5 and goes to a local Montessori school here in Ireland. I think a move to a more mainstream curriculum Will be a shock to the system without mummy in full time study.
    2 I'm definitely a more hands on person and hope that TA work will give me a job I'll love without added pressure of teaching( I know TAs do have a high workload and pressure but I feel teachers have a higher academic workload. Plus my teacher friends are always talking about staff out sick for stress)
    3 one of the reasons for coming home is to help support family member's in not so greathealth
    Ok so
    I am a 40 year old British female currently living in Ireland.we plan to move back to the UK in June with our 5 year old daughter.
    I am currently working in a local school as an after school assistant.
    I have my NVQ 2 and 3 in child
    care and education.Autism awareness certificate. I also have my N.E.S.T (postnatal educator) along with the usual CRB and first aid. I have over 20 years experience in childcare as a nursery nursery,maternity nurse,Nanny, teaching assistant and private behaviour and sleep specislist.
    I am also in the middle of doing a L3 autism spectrum diploma ( having recently discovered my husband and nephew are in the spectrum this is a useful course for both home and work)
    I understand I could work as a TA with my qualifications,however I have been living out of the country for 10 years we use siolta and Aistear curriculum framework.
    I also qualified in 97/98 so I definitely think I'm due an upgrade
    Which online courses would you recommend, preferably one with some school attendance.
    I'd also be quite interested in SNA(think it's SEN in the uk) work especially within autism
    Thanks

2. JamesWilson27

JamesWilson27 New commenter

Hi Molly,

Stonebridge Colleges are well known for being a great option regarding online training providers in the UK. They offer a couple of SEN courses, both basic and advanced.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

They have other teaching assistant courses you may find interesting too if you want to brush up your knowledge in other areas.

Thanks,
    James

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi mollymop, I understand your reasons for considering a TA/HLTA role rather than teaching at the moment. You will see from past threads that I've always been concerned about on-line TA courses - so often people have found that they do not give a recognised qualification. However, I have read good things about Stonebridge College; as long as the course is CACHE accredited, you should be ok.
    You have good experience for a TA role already, so another option would be to wait until you are back in the UK in June and apply for jobs straight away. You could also enquire about courses at a local college. Best of luck!

4. Mollymop5

Mollymop5 New commenter

Thanks for the reply James.
    I'll definitely check them out.

5. Mollymop5

Mollymop5 New commenter

Tha

6. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Hi I think your plans are sensible. So much pressure on teaching staff at the moment results in time off for stress. Your qualifications will still be fine in most areas and the Autism will give you an advantage for some jobs. I would think that joining an agency when you are settled would be a good move and they may offer you some updates on training. This would give you an idea of where you may like to apply for if jobs come up.

Sunshine and I are always on the same wavelength with training and I second her advice. Cache accredited. Don't do the HLTA courses with any company because you have to go through the process via school. What they offer is training but they cannot offer the complete Status and some have been caught out by paying out a lot of money without gaining the final piece of paper. I don't know how they are allowed to advertise it as they do.

The curriculum is changing a lot at the moment so I don't think you will find it too hard to just get a job and pick it up as you go along. Good luck with your move.