1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second Job

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Revealer, Feb 18, 2016.

1. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I have a contract mobile. I pay £8.50 a month, get all the texts and minutes I can eat and free data. I get a new phone as part of the upgrade every year. It's not a flashy Samsung or iPhone, but a Motorola, is smart enough for anyone and has a good screen for watching films and tv on the train. I download them using the free wifi at home.

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I can't begin to tell you how much it gets up my nose when a client presents for debt advice (quite often about to be evicted for non-payment of rent or imprisoned for non-payment of Council Tax), I look at their Income / Expenditure with them and find they have new iPhone contracts at £50 a month and a Sky package of £60 a month. In the worst one, a woman and her partner had BOTH just taken out two year iPhone contracts at £62 a month EACH!!

pepper5 and marymoocow like this.
  3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I don't get the phone thing either. I have a sim only with tesco and every time I top up £10, I get another £20 credit on top.
    I do surveys with Ipsos mori polls. Every time you gain a certain number of points you get a £10 voucher. It's not much but it goes towards clothes and is something I can do whilst watching tv.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I had a second job for most of the 1990s, trading in collectables at collectors' fairs. I did a couple each month (they were always at weekends) and filled in with mail order selling when time allowed - it was pre-eBay then, so eBay or similar would be today's equivalent. It's now one of my post-retirement jobs - I've always enjoyed it.

The only problem is sourcing the items for resale - Car Boots are OK but by far and away the best source is auctions, and it's the mid-week sales where the real bargains are to be found. No reason why a burst of summer holiday auction buying wouldn't work though. Likewise, foreign flea markets are handy for buying if you holiday in Europe.

GLsghost and pepper5 like this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

A bit off topic, but I find it hard to stomach that someone with a decently paid job (ie. teaching) is struggling to save for a house deposit. House prices and rentals in many parts of the UK are frickin' outrageous.
    OP - would it be possible to relocate to somewhere less extortionate? Or are you bound to the part of the UK you're currently living in? London, I assume.

pepper5 and Duke of York like this.
  6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I just lost a post where I was suggesting auctions, both for furniture and for sourcing boxes of items for reselling on eBay.
    I know that most auctions are mid week but a teacher can get to them during the holiday weeks. Also, the viewing days often include a Saturday and you can leave bids with the auctioneer and pick up any successful bids later in the week.

I furnished half of a 5 bed student rental property with solid auction purchases 13 years ago. I've only disposed of 2 pieces since then (I bought new beds).

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I collect cigarette cards and other trade cards (have done for most of my life actually). I've been to auctions recently where stuff I've got has sold for hundreds of pounds.

Makes me wonder what my collection is really worth.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

That's an incredible deal.

Especially the free data bit.

Are there not any limits to your minutes and data etc?

If I were the OP, I'd move for a better quality of life. In my opinion that is...

pepper5 likes this.
  9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

There is a limit on the data but I never get anywhere close to it.

Scintillant likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

They keep telling us it's because of the lack of land. Well my sweetheart and I were having a conversation this afternoon about the size of a local supermarket's car park. It's massive, and even when the store was heaving at Christmas, the car park was only 2/3rds full. Surely this waste of valuable building land can't be right.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

The OP is in London. If I were in their shoes, I would look to buy something outside of London and commute in. Train tickets are expensive though. It is a dilemma.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On the money saving front - find out what time the supermarkets put out their 'past sell by date' stock each evening. Different companies have different times. Major bargains to be had there. We still don't know what we're having for tea until yellow label time has passed.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

This is what I had to do 30 years ago to have any hope of buying my own place. I haven't regretted it.

pepper5 and coffeekid like this.