1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

second job?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Tara Jane, Dec 24, 2011.

1. do any other teachers have an "extra" job? Mr TJ lost his job (due to ill health etc) but could work now. Unfortunatley he has nt been able to get another. I think it would be easier for me - SEN experience so could do hours caring / support etc. Any views - experience would be gratefully recieved

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Do you mean another job in addition to <u>teaching</u>? The job does entail so many extra hours it would be unrealistic to think you'd be able to have another or the energy!
    If admin or TA etc then possibly.

3. Instead of min wage support work you could explore supporting university students. I'm dyslexic, working ft as a teacher but am also studying a pt MSc. As I'm unavailable in the day my support needs take place on an evening/weekend. I have a proofreader who reads all my assignments and a dyslexia tutor who provides tutorials in an evening via skype. This link provides you with the job descriptions/requirements for the various support roles available http://www.clear-links.co.uk/content/worker_roles. Clear Links have roles all around the country but it might also be worth contacting the disabilty depts of your local universities.

I used to work as an academic support worker when I was at uni and have registered as a SEN Tutor on First Tutors. Although their isn't loads of interest from this website I often get requests from students in the summer who are needing help re-sitting assignments so it might be worth registering. You could also register to tutor students in your specalist subject. I used to work as an ESOL Tutor in the West Yorkshire area and always had a lot of interest from potential clients.

4. I'm Head of Englis in a big department. I also work 2 evenings a week and both Saturday and Sunday for a total of 10 hours per week. I cope ok. I also have two young children, you just learn good time management when you work that many hours.

5. I worked three nights a week at the Youth Club for many years - most of my mates taught evening classes at the "Tech" or the local detention centre and also one at Durham Prison, some worked as cabbies and I know one who finished work on a Friday and then worked night shift at the bakery for two nights.
    Nobody did this because they liked doing a bit extra.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just a little administrative point here . . .
    You may need to tell your main employer if you have an additional job, even if unwaged.
    This is due to EU regulations *sigh* which put the onus on main employer to ensure that you do not over-run the European Working Time Directive for total hours per week.
    Check it out yourself, then if the total looks a little worrying tell employer who then must take steps to ensure that you are not given additional hours in any week.
    Like Parents' Evening without time off.
    :)
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

7. I would recommend private tutoring as the easiest and most lucrative way for a teacher to earn a little extra. I set up a very small website to promote myself, but you wouldn't have to, could just put cards in shop windows etc. Need to register as self employed and fill in tax return each year which isn't too bad if you do it online-just keep track of your receipts etc.
    I charge &pound;25 an hour, and find it a rewarding way to use my skills, and it's pretty flexible too. I used to work for agencies but got fed up of continuing to pay them comission week in week out.

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Private tutoring is a good way to make some extra money, although the additional tax does take quite a big bite out of your extra income. I also found it far too stressful with the extra planning and hours, plus the travel time between appointments. At one point, I was tutoring four students per week; I tried to cram them onto two nights, leaving work at 4pm and doing two tutoring appointment back to back. It meant I still had free time in the week, but it was stressful when there were parents' evenings/open evenings and tutoring had to be rearranged for other nights.
    That said, if you really do need some extra money, tutoring is a good way to go and will also benefit your teaching because you are able to add it to your CV and use it as examples of how you've helped students improve/progress - if applying for promotion, it's great to help you workout what works in terms of intervention etc for borderline pupils.
    Personally, I gave up the tutoring because I just found it too stressful and my income on UPS was enough for me to cover my bills and have a decent enough amount of spare cash.
    Could I politely suggest that it is your partner who considered taking on shop or bar work to make cash, rather than you? He can always get something temporary and keep applying in his own field at the same time. I'm not sure why you are considering doing extra work when you already have a full time job.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And another little administrative point . . .
    :)
    HMRC is specifically targetting those who do tutoring as potential non-payers of tax on those earnings . . .
    They actually had a full-page Ad in last Friday's TES, suggesting that you come clean now, because it'll be worse if they find you out.
    "HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) have announced that private tutors are the next tax avoidance target in narrowing the UK tax gap...
    In HMRC&rsquo;s mission to tighten the net on tax avoidance and tax evasion in the UK, private tutors are the next group of professionals that will be under tax investigation for tax fraud.
    With a new &lsquo;affluent&rsquo; team of over 2,000 tax inspectors set to investigate the 350,000 wealthiest tax payers in the UK and premiership footballers. Next month, the Revenue plan to focus on lower-level tax avoidance cheats, including private tutors and fitness coaches.
    This step from HMRC may have a big impact as there are many teachers that supplement their pay outside of school hours with cash in hand private tutoring.
    HMRC&rsquo;s private tutor campaign will follow suite with previous professionals &ndash; doctors, plumbers, and dentists &ndash; who have been targeted to voluntarily come forward and pay any undeclared tax and avoid large tax penalties, or even worse criminal tax prosecution.
    A spokesman for HMRC has said that there is a &lsquo;significant enough minority&rsquo; of private tutors who do not pay taxes they owe, in order for the Revenue to be disconcerted.
    &lsquo;Web robot&rsquo; technology will be used to find individuals and companies online. Information collected about their financial affairs will then be used to &lsquo;pursue people who choose not to use opportunities&rsquo; provided by HMRC to &lsquo;put their affairs in order on the best possible terms&rsquo;, he added."
    Sorry!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars