1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second Interview- lesson ideas

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lillou84, Apr 12, 2012.

1. I have an interview on the 18th for a reception job. I have to teach a CLLbased 15minute input along with a 15 minute activity. It feels impossible to be impressive in such a short amount of time!
    I am basing my lesson ideas on We're going on a bear hunt- but found my ideas leading more down a maths route than a literacy route. Does anyone have any inspirational ideas?
    Louise

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Don't do Bear Hunt - the class are bound to have done it before.

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Pardon me for saying so, but I really do think the school would rather that any 'inspirational ideas' were your own so that they can be sure they are hiring the best teacher for the job and not just the person whose friend/parent/colleague/mentor/TES poster gave them the best idea. You've also given what I assume is your real name, the date of your interview, and the year group in question....what if the interviewers happen to read these forums and recognise your lesson as one taken from a forum? Even worse, what if another candidate in the same interview has been trawling TES looking for ideas and stumbles across this thread?
    Middlemarch has give you some good advice, the Bear Hunt thing is quite common, I hear.
    Personally, I'd work backwards. Workout what you'd like them to learn: what skills will they demonstrate? I'm Secondary-based so obviously adapt this for your age-group, but I'd start by thinking, "Right, I want them to be able to use three different types of sentences. Now, what building blocks are necessary to get them there?" Then I'll work backover to figure out how I'm going to establish their prior knowledge, then deliver some input about different types of sentences and then what activity I'm going to do with them so they can demonstrate some progression.
    I'd keep the lesson VERY simple (not just because of their age, but I also mean in terms of resources etc). If they are only asking you to teach for 30 minutes, they are probably not looking for an all-singing, all-dancing lesson with flash-cards and matching tasks and group work and VAK etc.I always think that for 30 minutes they want to see how you relate to the children, your manner in the classroom and your personality, along with how well you communicate, present yourself and manage the children.
    When I've been interviewed and asked to only teach for 30 minutes, this is the principle I've gone with and I've always got the job. I personally think that the panel interview is the biggest focus of the day and, provided you taught a solid, well-organised lesson, if you delivery the best panel interview you'll get the job over the flashy teacher with the million and one posh resources.
    I'm sure Middlemarch or another headteacher poster could confirm if my evalutation of things is wildly inaccurate; I'm only speaking from my own experience, of course!
    Oh, and good luck!!

4. It's funny, but I've always found the opposite to be true - that the teacher who delivers the best lesson gets the job over the teacher who can "talk the talk" in the formal interview.