1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second in dept interview

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by nadine.2007, Mar 5, 2016.

1. nadine.2007

nadine.2007 New commenter

Hi I have an internal interview for this post on Tuesday. Has anyone who was interviewed recently got any ideas regarding questions I might be asked. I would really appreciate any help people can offer.

2. Luke66

Luke66 New commenter

Have you read the job spec? What questions do you think you may be asked based on the outcomes expected?

3. nadine.2007

Thanks for replying Luke. There isn't a job spec. I have been told that we will agree that after depending on my strengths so I am guessing there will be a question about that and where I think I can add value.

4. Luke66

Luke66 New commenter

What do you think you can bring to the role?

5. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

This type of question comes up often, is rarely answered even politely, and is very difficult to answer correctly since the context to the interview is so important.
    Firstly, assess the context. You are obviously internal: your interviewers will already know about you, have a good handle on your strengths and weaknesses. What they will want to see is whether you confirm or contradict this and, if the latter, is the surprise a positive one? In advance, list your strengths and weaknesses. Be prepared to state how you will build your strengths into the role. Assess what they will consider to be your weaknesses - how will you deal with questions in these areas?
    Assess who are you up against - internals/externals/both? What's your unique selling point?
    Assess the current state of the dept. What's the HOD like? How will you work with them? What's the dept like? How will you work with them?
    What areas of dept management are you interested in taking on? How will you do this? How will you deal with problems which arise?
    What have you done so far to justify applying for the role? Training? Initiatives you've handled?
    Then there are a whole plethora of questions surrounding the role and the sorts of things you might have to do. For that, I'd just look at what might be expected of HoDs rather than 2i/cs. There's plenty out there on the web. For example, this. (Haven't read it, but it's as good a starting point as any). Turn every expectation into a question, write out and rehearse your answers.
    There are the usual: where do you see yourself in 5 years time, etc qus.
    Finally, I never excelled at any interview until, having done my research and realised I was as capable as anyone of engaging in an educational debate, I stopped assuming questions were there to catch me out, and started enjoying the discussion. Be positive, enjoy the 'conversation' - since that's what it is, keep answers short and to the point. And if it doesn't go to plan, apply for other jobs and get more practice!

DuckMeat likes this.
  6. nadine.2007

Thanks both of you. Your comments were very detailed googolplex so thanks for all your time. That has given me plenty of food for thought.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Do you have any specific ideas of things that you could do to for your department, preferably things that wil work well for your HoD. It needs to be done carefully, as it could be taken as a negative coment on your HoD. When thinking about your strengths, consider how they can best be used in the role.

Is the role replacing somebody who could be encouraged to give you a hint or two? Just a sneaky thought.

:)Good advice for all interviews!

8. nadine.2007

Thanks. Yes I am aware I need to tread carefully and I have spoken to the outgoing person. Thanks for your suggestions and help.