1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second in department.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by simonbfc, Oct 13, 2019.

1. simonbfc

simonbfc New commenter

Hi everyone.

I’m in my 6th year of teaching and finally feel ready to dip my toe into the leadership side of things. Applied for a 2nd in department and Friday I was successful at interview and start after Xmas in a new school. So pleased to be entering the next phase of my career journey. Any tips for me ?

2. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Congratulations on your promotion, I bet you’re happy that 6 years of hard work has finally been rewarded! As second in department, your primary role is to assist the HoD in the management of the department and the leadership of the team within it. Whilst not having full accountability for departmental budgets, you will still work closely with the HoD and support them. Responsibilities can vary between department and school and this is something you would need to check with your HoD on your first day in the role.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. simonbfc

simonbfc New commenter

thank you for the congratulations and for the sound advice. Much appreciated.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Is this your first change of school? If so, do remember that you're starting from scratch with the pupils - being new means you've got to establish yourself with them, and that's even harder after Christmas (you're the only teacher they're testing out and deciding what they think of in January). Hopefully your HoD will give you a bit of space to get going with your classes before asking you to do anything too major.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. simonbfc

simonbfc New commenter

Thank you frustum. It’s my second change of school but a good reminder nonetheless so I appreciate the advice.

6. Daredevil111

Daredevil111 New commenter

What would be your specific role?

does 1265 apply to assistant head of department ?

7. simonbfc

simonbfc New commenter

Second in maths department with focus on KS3. Not sure about the 1265

8. Daredevil111

Daredevil111 New commenter

If you get an update on the 1265 please can you share.

congrats by the way. Enjoy.