1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second in Department Interview Questions for English

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by BeckyT711, Apr 21, 2017.

1. BeckyT711

BeckyT711 New commenter

Hi all,

I've been considering applying for the second in department role at my current school; it would be quite a jump in my career but whatever the outcome it will all be good experience for me!

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the type of questions that might be asked at interview. There are some threads out there on this already but they are a few years old now, one I found was from 10 years ago, so wondered if anyone else had been through this process more recently and could offer any ideas?

Any help or advice on this would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

2. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi BeckyT711,

Here is a link for possible questions which you could be asked in general:
    https://www.tes.com/jobs/careers-advice/latest-advice/possible-interview-questions

As you are being interviewed in your present school, I realise that a few of the questions above are not relevant to you. None the less, they provide a good range of questions for you to consider.

Examples of other questions to consider are:
    *How would use you data to identify under performing students within English?
    *Which would be the most effective intervention strategies to aid their progress?
    *Which strategies would you implement to raise the quality of teaching and learning within English?
    *Explain a situation in which you worked to support and develop adepartment. What was the focus of the support? Which issues did you experience? How did you overcome them? What was the impact?
    *How would you approach staff within your department that are resistant to working with you?
    *How would you feel about standing in for the HoD when they are absent?
    *How could you help staff gain confidence in the delivery of the Key Stage 3/4/5 curriculum?
    *What training and support do you think you would need if you are appointed?

All the best.

3. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

How many years of teaching experience do you have? Reason I ask, it seems as if you are either an NQT or been teaching for less than 3 years with the statement 'it would be a big jump in my career'- if you've been teaching for a long period of time, the natural step would be a 2nd in Department role. To successfully carry out this role, you need at least 3 years teaching experience in the subject you wish to teach in, at all levels (ks3, 4 and 5) and can demonstrate leadership qualities to support the HoD and lead the department in their absence.

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

BYusuf's question examples are what generally could be asked.

BYusuf likes this.
  5. BeckyT711

BeckyT711 New commenter

Thank you so much for this, this is incredibly helpful!

6. BeckyT711

BeckyT711 New commenter

Hello, thanks so much for replying to my post. I've got 2 years teaching experience at the moment; I decided to apply after a conversation with my HoD who asked me whether I'd thought about it. We were both in agreement that whatever the outcome it would all be good experience for me so if I am lucky enough to get an interview thought I'd be as prepared as possible and make a good impression!

7. katieread1989

katieread1989 New commenter

Hi Becky, I am in the same boat as you but in Humanities.

I have been teaching 2 years with experience in teaching, history, Geog and RE at KS3 and RE and history at GCSE. I had a similar conversation with my HOD and will be applying for second in faculty this week. Aso got other duties I've undertaken in the faculty in the hope of this promotion so trying to put together an application letter based on the above!

Thank you for starting this thread as think I can also apply some questions from the English suggestions to the Huamnities.

Best of luck with your application and interviews!