1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second in department/ ASL

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by nhagan, Jun 7, 2011.

1. nhagan

nhagan New commenter

I was wondering if someone could list for me some roles and responsibilities an assistant subject leader/ second in department could take on within a secondary school department (ICT) primarily with key stage 4.

We currently teach OCR Nationals Level 2 to year 9, 10 and 11.

Thanks.

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

If you have a look at the jobs section you'll find some JDs on there.
    Click here

HTH

3. Give them "Stretch and Challenge for G&T students within the OCR L2". That'll keep them busy.....

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Really? MOTS! Problem solved! [​IMG]

5. Ouch.....

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Yeah, it's that time of the year when we evaluate our SoW and look at how we've dealt with G&T.
    The G&T kids mostly get their target grade and too many don't feel they want to get more units to get more GCSE equivalents. "I've already got 2!" is a common statement. "Will it help me get into a college?" is another.
    The units where depth and stretch are possible students can still get Distinctions without too much of the stretch. Publishing marking criteria is supposed to be good practice; which it is...
    mostly...

7. Our setup which I quite like:
    OCR L2 - U1, U20, U4, U8, U2, U21
    Now they've got the skills of web design and they can write about innovations, move them into Edexcel Applied ICT and they can use their prior knowledge for "Life in the Info Age", teach them Databases for Unit 2, they can then go back and do Unit 7 (Databases) in OCR Nationals and get the 4 and finally sit the May Edexcel Applied ICT Unit 3 exam.
    Yes it's a shed load of work and effort to get them through all that from Y9 Dec to Y11 May...