1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second hand furniture-getting rid of the smell of dog wee!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magmac, May 15, 2011.

1. It's refreshing to hear from someone who is living within their means rather than the society we live in now , must have must have must have!!

Bicarbonate of soda is good for getting rid of smells.Sand down the wood first then make a paste and rub it on. When the weather improves air them outside as much as possible. Others might have better solutions!

Good luck and all the best for the future with your baby.

2. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I'd phone the charity shop and ask them to remove the furniture and refund your outlay.They probably didn't realise there was this problem.

3. Thanks nutella, I would feel really guilty doing that, the table is fine. Our neighbour has a spare set of chairs he is selling that would go with the table so if we need to we can ask him. I will try the washiing powder then if no luck I will ring the shop to let them know, even if it stops someone else having this problem. It's disgraceful that someone gave furniture in that state to the charity shop, they must have known.

4. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Why? You have been sold something that is unfit for purpose. You don't have to feel guilty because you bought it from a charity shop. The charity shop is a business and should be run properly so that the goods it sells are monitored and fit for purpose.

5. I disagree ... people with dogs do not seem to notice their smell at all ... on the other hand I would have thought the
    smell would be more apparent to the charity shop people

6. You could try Febreeze - not the air freshener but the stuff you spray on fabric. This worked a treat with lingering urine smells in my mum's house (try washing the fabric first though). You may have to give it a few sprays before the smell finally goes.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The dog wee has soaked into the chair legs not the seat fabric.

8. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi strawberrytart,
    firstly, congrats on your pregnancy!
    secondly, nutella is right. Charity shops are businesses and here in Edinburgh, they certainly do well for themselves ... especially in the posh areas, where there are absolutely loads of them!
    I remember trying to donate a sofa to charity. It was in good, clean condition but had a wee splodge of dried superglue on the arm. They refused to accept it, so I really wouldn't feel bad about returning your purchase if you can't get rid of the smell.
    Thirdly, you should seriously consider joining your local Freecycle/Freegle groups. It's a bit of a faff to sign up, but when you do, you can get hold of loads of stuff for free (not really my [​IMG], but I've certainly donated loads). I know of people who have obtained a moses basket, buggy, baby clothes etc, all for free from these groups.
    Good luck!

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Yes indeed. How dare they not give brand new without blemish furniture to a charity shop... tut tut.

10. Zoflora - it's an antibacterial disinfectant too, important with bambino on the way!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Don't be so stupid! No one is suggesting they give brand new items to the charity shop but they certainly shouldn't be offloading stuff that is impregnated with the smell of urine.

12. They perhaps did not notice the smell, just as smokers do not notice the smell of cigarettes.
    However, I agree that the shop should have noticed and even if it is a charity shop, you have a right to return the goods unless they have an explicit policy of "bought as seen".
    Biological powder does work - I suppose it depends very much on how much you have paid for the furniture as to whether the effort is worth it.
    I would be inclined to ditch the chairs and beg the neighbour to donate his (or sell them very cheaply).

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

They would need to have a policy of 'bought as smelt' in this case.

14. Thanks for the useful replies, I can only assume that certain posters have endless money and therefore do not need to purchase from such places as charity shops. I came on here to ask for advice as I know so many people on here have pets and have therefore dealt with the lovely jobs that come with them! I will be shopping tonight and getting the bio powder, if that does not work I will contact the shop. I can see how they might not have noticed the smell but I disagree that the person who sent it would not have noticed at least the chewed legs-in the shop I didn't see them as the shop was pretty full and the chairs were all pushed under the table with furniture either side. However now it is home the marks are very clear. I will be being far more careful in future.
    Thanks again for all of the useful and non-judgmental posters, it seems washing powder is the way forward!

15. suefla

suefla New commenter

If the legs are just scratched, rub them with a cotton ball dipped in a solution that is an equal mixture of turpentine and linseed oil (both available in small quantities at an art supply shop), polish with a clean dry cloth. The turpentine slightly dissolves the finish of the wood and moves some of the colour into the scratches and the linseed oil polishes the surface. This is also a good remedy for white rings on table tops.

16. DaisysLot

I wasn't being 'judgmental' at all. I have a personal policy of never buying new furniture with the exception of beds. All of our stuff is from ebay, freecycle or gumtree actually. I also spent my entire pregnancy last year thriftily applying to join every mother and baby club going, claiming freebies all over the place and accumulating money off vouchers.... I can highly recommend - start with boots, Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda... then move to attack Aptamil and Cow & Gate....

17. Then I apologise, it is easy to misread people's intentions online. Thanks for the advice re:baby stuff, I have joined boots parenting club but not looked into tesco yet. I will take a look at them.

18. suefla-thanks, the legs are chewed aswell. My neighbour has offered to do a straight swap of the chairs with us if it doesn't work so either way we will be sorted. (His table and chairs came free and he is planning on car booting them-I explained about the dog wee to him!)

19. DaisysLot

To add to that Strawbs.... We have a table and 4 chairs that doesn't smell of dog wee or have any leg chewing up for grabs. Husband has acquire d a bigger one to *sigh* fit his board gaming geeky gang around more comfortably :p

20. Thanks daisyslot, will probably not tell mr st about it as he will see it as another opportunity to pose with his trailer (he's remarkably proud of it-looks just like any other to me)!