1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second German woman evicted from her home to make way for refugees

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Vladimir likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

3. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

One can throw around labels like 'Daily Mail' (That one is getting a little tedious now, don't you think?), post varying opinion, which is always welcome in my books, and blame the situation on legislation or town councils, but the underlying truth here remains the same: this upstanding German lady is losing her home in favour of migrants from outside the EU, and probably not even refugees, for they would genuinely be grateful to enter a country not in a state of war. What sort of message do you think this is sending? What goes on elsewhere in the EU will soon make its way here and as always Dave will cave. And who will be the first targets? The most vulnerable, of course: the tenants, the OAPs...

Some more food for thought on this thorny issue:http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6583/germany-migrants-housing

WaylonWu likes this.
  4. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

Vladimir likes this.
  5. xmal

xmal Established commenter

People who constantly harp on about "Telegraph/Mail/Fox News perspective" are in complete denial. Any inconvenient facts are dismissed to a form of false consciousness. Time to get real.

Vladimir likes this.
  6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Well, hello there! So 'Opinion' is 'Personal' now? Who knew? Why not 'Personal Opinion'? I went on here expecting something a bit more sensational, frankly.

Anyway, this site is still rubbish. You have to log in to read anything then you have to log in again to say anything and it has less memory than my late grandmother when it comes to recalling who you are. At least she recognized me some of the time (when she didn't think I was my Dad. Or the dog). Nice to see you all.

kibosh and anotherauntsally like this.
  7. WaylonWu

What's with moving migrants into former concentration camps? How sick is that?!

Vladimir likes this.
  8. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Hope you're not put off, Artboy. That shouldn't be happening - posters have been asked to report problems on the 'bugs' thread in the 'Help' and something else (sorry, can't remember full title) forum. It's good to see you giving it a go, anyway.

9. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

This is just sick. I can't wait to leave Europe. PC gone too far. I'm hopefully returning to the states where a proper conservative republican we will be elected next year.

Vladimir likes this.
  10. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Bye, Andrew!

Just curious, Andrew, living in Europe have you availed of free health care (the Republicans tried to stop that) or reduced educational costs (my alma mater costs $45,000 a year in the States) or (not in the UK or Ireland), subsidised childcare? Those all things the Republicans will not support. That is the Republican way. They also don't believe in free school lunches (thanks to David, soon the Brits won't either) and their interpretation of the 'right to bear arms' means guns for all!

sigh.

ps. I am American, I am aware of my history - but the amendment allowing guns was for rifles, not semi-automatics; free health care (or heavily subsided health care for the eldery and poor was a part of FDR's programme of reforms, which the Republican party has tried to dismantle and by the way, when I went to graduate school over here, I paid EU rates (so Oxford was pretty cheap).

and do you really want Donald Trump as President?

11. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I have friends in the US who make it very easy for me to believe I am in the right place if I'm not actually loaded.

12. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I have seen a couple of these stories about people being asked to leave so that migrants can be housed. I find it quite astonishing but I do wonder if I am only reading half a story as the reporting I have seen did not mention whether the ladies were being rehoused somewhere else or just being told to 'bog off'. If the latter then it is outrageous.

midnight_angel likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

They were offered alternative housing apparently but declined it.

14. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I get "re-housed" if a single German resident is living in public housing that is historically more suited to a family of six. I'm still sorry that a long-term resident is being shipped out of an area she has lived in for a long time and has connections within.
    Not totally sure where the govt thinks the moral high ground might be located.

Vladimir likes this.
  15. WaylonWu

To where? Why are they even been thrown up after they have lived there for so many years in favour of migrants anyway? Would you be okay with with it if you were offered "alternative" accommodation? What about elderly pensioners being evicted to make way for migrants? Is that okay too?

Vladimir likes this.
  16. WaylonWu

Have you also seen stories of Swedes being evicted from their homes to make way for migrants too? Or elderly pensioners being evicted for the same reason? Or privately owned Swedish homes being seized and used to house migrants as well? The couple of stories are amounting to a lot more than two.

Vladimir likes this.
  17. WaylonWu

Or simply deny it's even happening. I usually find casting aspersions on the Daily Mail, Telegraph etc happens when debate is trying to be shut down.
    "I saw an unbelievable situation: the elderly volunteer lifted the table halfway, looked at the migrant and moved his head asking the migrant to lend a hand. The migrant paused for a moment and then just walked away." — Firsthand account, refugee shelter.

Why would migrants not want to help the very people who are trying to help them, especially when those doing the helping are a lot older? Why are these leftists who are trying to deliberately change Europe so stupid do you think? Do they not realise that the deliberate social engineering of Europe will destroy them also?

Vladimir likes this.
  18. WaylonWu

This is how the false narrative supplants the truth and a false consciousness takes its place.

Vladimir likes this.
  19. WaylonWu

We should also remember that Germans and Swedes are paying for the massive influx of migrants into their countries through their taxes. Now they are being forced to pay a second time by being forced out of their homes into more expensive accommodation so the migrants can live in social housing which rightfully belongs to Germans and Swedes. And on top of that their privately owned homes are seized as well ! This will end in war in Europe.

Vladimir likes this.
  20. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

There is a third option: read academic works by experts on a given issue.

It's one of those things quite a few people might remember doing at university. Remember those big books (with no pictures) written by authors who dedicate most of their lives to researching a given area?

For something as immediate as this topic, you may have to be wait for a while until something half-decent appears. And even professors aren't going to be free from bias. But at least what they write gets peer reviewed.

Try it for a topic like Islam. Have a look at Malise Ruthven instead of the execrable Charles Moore. For economics, get hold of something by Ha Joon Chang, or Joseph Stiglitz. For morality/ethics (here I am thinking of former 'Opinion' regular topics like euthanasia, abortion, gay marriage etc.) try Joshua Greene, Richard Huxtable, or John Boswell. For Middle Eastern politics, sample someone like Martin Bunton.

It might then save 'Personal' from getting clogged up with links to uninformed op ed pieces or lazy and complacent, template journalism.

Who knows? One fine day. threads might eventually appear in this place that will be worth reading.