1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Second chance help and advice needed!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by cate50, Apr 23, 2011.

  1. cate50

    cate50 New commenter

    Hi there, I am 29 and have been an FE lecturer now for 3 years. When I was 21 I went straight from graduating into a september start secondary PGCE which I withdrew from in the March due to ill health. I have, for the last three years, been trying to retrain but it is very complicated. I know that having taken approx £4000 of the £6000 bursary I am no longer entitled to this funding but does anyone know if I can still be accepted onto a course? and also what happens with a GTP? The TDA pay £13000 odd of the salary for this - Do I not get any of that? or is it just minus the £6000 or £4000? I am afraid at the time I naively did not ask enough questions and did not keep documentation about my withdrawal. I Could ask my doctor to go through records and match up dates though. I desperately want to train and feel like I am getting nowhere. If anyone knows a solution or the answer to these questions I would be very grateful!


    Many thanks


  2. I think your best bet is to get in touch with the TDA and ask them. Good luck.
  3. cate50

    cate50 New commenter

    I will try again but having already contacted them several times I found their advice rather "non comittel"
    Thanks - I will keep plugging!

  4. I've noticed recently that there has been an "official" TDA poster on the forums. They seem to be post mainly in the "Thinking about teaching" threads ... so perhaps try over there.
    You could also try a "Dear James" post in the "Student Teachers" area.
  5. I'm not sure whether your previous experience/bursary has any affect on the GTP as you aren't classed as a student when doing this course. On the GTP you are actually employed as an Unqualified Teacher and receive a salary on the first point of the pay scale (roughly £15,800). Depending on your ITT Provider, you either find a school or they match you to one of their partnership schools. The salary grant (the £13k that you mentioned) is what the school receives from the TDA to cover most of the salary. So yes, you get paid the £15k.

Share This Page