1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second C19 wave - best place to be?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Luvsskiing, May 15, 2020.

1. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-outbreas-china-south-korea-fears-second-wave-infections/

Second waves are appearing in various places now.

All things considered (medical services, lockdown facilities, being close to family, getting paid, confidence in hospitals etc), if / when a second C19 wave hits in July / August or later in the year / next year, which many predict will be much larger than the first one, which country would you prefer to be in? Home or abroad, if abroad, where and why?

2. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

The only people predicting that are basing it on the Spanish Flu, which I believe not only mutated but caught people off guard.

There are lots and lots of measures in place now across the world to handle a second wave more effectively than the first. Lockdowns will be much more easy to implement, health systems will be better equipped, people understand social distancing better.

briancant likes this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The best place to be during the second wave? On the balcony of our country house in Bulgaria, having lunch (and a glass or two of wine) with my dear wife.

balcony.JPG

4. treefrog101

treefrog101 New commenter

The UK is not inspiring much confidence right now!

5. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

Hippo, that certainly looks a lovely place to be!

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

A tropical island with a fully stocker larder and no other habitants.

tb9605 and T0nyGT like this.
  7. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

I'm in Thailand and feel pretty safe here. I miss family in the UK but wouldn't be able to see them if I was there. Much safer here than the UK I imagine.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  8. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

I'm happy to be in CH. And though I hope there isn't a second wave, will be happy to remain in CH should it occur.

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

One day we're going to see the view from the other balcony. It will be a Bulgarian skid row of crack houses and bare-knuckle gypsy boxing rings

Sundaytrekker, BlueHues, SPC2 and 4 others like this.
  10. the hippo

super small.jpg

Thank you, Penny10p. I thoroughly recommend Bulgaria if you want to buy a cheap house (very cheap) in some beautiful countryside.

I am sorry to disappoint you, T0nyGT. There is not a crack house or a boxing ring in sight.

BetterNow, T0nyGT and yasf like this.
  11. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

If the news (Guardian, BBC, Independent) is anything to go by, anywhere that isn't Brazil, the UK or the US....

T0nyGT likes this.
  12. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

So it's agreed.. we're all bunking at the Hippo's

13. the hippo

Great! You can sleep in the spare bedroom, bigfatgit, and Captain Mainwaring can have my wife's music room.

14. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Can I make a claim on the cupboard under the stairs?

15. the hippo

No, I am sorry, rouxx. The cupboard is full up with jars of Mrs. Hippo's wonderful marmalade. You could pitch your tent at the end of the garden. Here is the latest batch of orangey perfection, gently bubbling away on our woodburning stove in the kitchen.

small71.jpg

skitty123456 likes this.
  16. skitty123456

skitty123456 New commenter

Hippo, those views are phenomenal. I never really thought of Bulgaria being such a lovely spot!

I'm currently living and teaching in the UK, so the supposed second-wave will be an interesting one here...

17. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

18. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

How far are you from the nearest decent supermarket hippo? And how easy is it to get tradesmen for maintenance?

19. the hippo

skitty123456, thank you for your kind comments. Here is the Nishava. It is at the bottom of our garden!

026.jpg

Now to answer motorhomer's question, there is a very good supermarket in Dragoman, about 10km from us. What do we do for tradesmen? Well, I accidentally reversed my car into one of the doors of my garage. A chap in our village came along with his friend and some welding equipment. They worked for about any hour, fixed both doors really well and charged me twenty leva. That is about ten euros or nine quid. Why would anyone want to live in Rip-Off Britain?

And, just for skitty123456, here is a picture of the fishing lakes. They are a five minute walk from our house.

lakes2.jpg

BetterNow, skitty123456 and T0nyGT like this.
  20. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter