1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second acting as HOD during sick leave

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Kaliblue, Nov 4, 2011.

1. 4 weeks is long enough. Negotiating at the beginning is a better idea and keeps everything on an above board footing. Also, you should be asking for some arrangement to be made so that you can gain some remittance time to do the increased duties for the next while.
    To a certain extent part of the responsibility of the second is to step up now and again but if this is going from short to medium term then you need to take care of yourself to.
    Those who don't ask, don't get.

2. Before I was made HOD I was in this position - as soon as it was made known that the existing HOD would be off long term I was given additional money, rejected the additional time as it was easier to teach rather then set cover BUT was released from being a tutor so gained an extra 30mins per day that way.

3. Thanks for your experiences. I think I will speak to my Head. She's reasonable and has ensured I have additional non-contact time to fulfil my additional duties.