1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEBD

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by mymoniker, Dec 2, 2011.

1. We are currently teaching a class of 20 where most have some level of SEBD, with two teachers supporting. We want to get them engaged and doing 'real' art, but are too wary to give them paint, or anything they can throw. There are big relationship issues within the class. We're running out of ideas with pencil work. Can anyone offer some ideas?

2. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

3D work often goes down well as it's more hands-on. Behaviour sometimes improves if they are not just drawing, especially if they make something like big sweets, chocolate bars or paint tubes - something fun, but step-by-step so everyone succeeds.
    Rotate activities. Make full use of the number of staff you have in the room and have a small group at a time painting..etc.. it's perhaps best not to try it with the whole class at once.
    I had a similar-sounding group a few years back and remember a 3D cardboard construction project I did with them after Easter. One lesson started with <u>them</u> listing how to use a stanley knife safely and with these guidelines displayed and sanctions clearly outlined, 4 at a time cut their shapes out! Never thought I'd have knives in the room when I met them in September!!!
    Perseverence is the key, and developing a relationship that demonstrates that you WANT to trust them.