1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seating plans...with no desks

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gnmf, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Hi,

i am about to start a new job at a new school in year 5. At this school there are no desks in the classrooms. Instead there are bean bags, cushions etc for the children to work from. There are actually 5 tables, enough for 10 children to work at a desk at any one time.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of working in a classroom like this and whether you could offer any advice on how to make it work in the first few days. I'm not sure how to set the classroom out or where the children should be sitting.. Normally I would have a seating plan for the first day. I don't really want to have a free for all especially as I'm told this is a 'tricky' class. Any thoughts/advice would be really appreciated! Thanks.

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

First thing I would do is order more desks.

3. summlard

summlard New commenter

I have the opposite problem. 32 children in a small room = no floor space.

However, I'd struggle in your position. How can children work effectively with no desks? Or is the one of the latest trends? Will we all be teaching on bean bags in the next 3 years?

All I can possibly suggest is a masking tape "grid" on the floor. Position children within a square?

4. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Tricky for writing tasks, especially if the school has high standards for handwriting and presentation.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In year 5? Lower down the school, yes but by year 5 they really need to be acquiring good settling to work' habits.

Are they working on tablets on these cushions/bean bags? If not that means 2/3 of the class are unable to do any formal work for marking and assessment other than oral work, which has less emphasis in the new curriculum and certainly will be the focus of any inspection.

I suppose at a push you could have 3 at a desk? In which case that's 15, but still leaves a great many children without any 'formal work area'. And let's face it sat on bean bags /cushions is not going to be conducive to formal work!

Presumably you knew this when you looked round the school? Are all classrooms like this? If not I'd consider asking a colleague to see if they'd like a swap. I've just done this with a colleague for next year. and swapped my desks for tables- more suitable for DT / Art/ group work for Foundation subjects.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

its a wonder they haven't also got the new trending business which is to have standing desks,,,,you don't sit down to work but stand at the desk as its supposed to make you more efficient.

Not sure about this system or the methodology around it.i assume the children are to communicate more from tablets and so the work might be streamed to cloud workplaces.Children would therefore need less desks as they work cooperatively.

Haveyou asked the school what you do for formal testing and the ilk?

7. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

Link

8. Lara mfl 05

That link takes one back to TES Jobs home page? (I was intriguedenough by the concept yo look. [​IMG])

9. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

I think that's rather WolfPaul's point.

When you get a job in a school where such nonsense occurs, it's time to look at the job listings!

10. Lara mfl 05

Ah! (to michaelt) Shows how 'dense' I am!