1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seating plan fail.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by donrickles, Feb 26, 2020.

1. donrickles

donrickles New commenter

Hi all just need to share this.
    New supply gig secondary tough school.
    Use sims to check behaviour and set seating plan accordingly.
    School has clear consequence policy with hall crawlers to remove if needed.

Pupils given clear expectations and instructions. They walk in check seating plan and then sit wherever they liked. Some arguments then ensue as kids are now sat in others places. Chaos decends into farce and confrontation.

Can see this gig is going to be a challenge this is day 2
    What awaits
    I’m the 2nd supply that has replaced supply that replaced swap teacher that replaced teacher that left.

Regards
    Mr W

2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Do your best. Think of the money. Stay calm.

Or... same as above but ask agency to line up another job ASAP

Or.. if you can afford it..give notice and walk..

tonymars, agathamorse and abwdSTEM like this.
  3. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

That sounds very familiar, :)

I used to find that very often too much actual teaching time was lost each lesson trying (usually with limited success) to enforce a seating plan. This would be to the detriment of those students who actually wanted to achieve something.

With that in mind I used to tell students where they were expected to sit, if after a reminder they still refused to comply I simply followed this with whatever sanction the school behaviour policy stipulated. I wasn't going to waste mine and other students' time on attention seekers.

Also if some students who were in the wrong seat but working well I would often "not notice" them.;)

4. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

I tend to teach in computer rooms. I no longer bother with seating plans as if a kid is sat away from their friends they tend to 'make sure' every computer they sit at doesn't work until they have ended up back with their mates! Seating plans are best used as a threat, and a hollow one at that!

5. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

If whole groups of kids are refusing reasonable requests, that’s a serious problem (defiance) and you need to seek support. Defiance usually carries a mid level sanction. Pushing through with this is important.

6. lovejoy_antiques

I agree. Defiance should definitely carry a sanction. The problem is all to often it doesn't.

tonymars likes this.
  7. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

I’m the 2nd supply that has replaced supply that replaced swap teacher that replaced teacher that left

I'm not surprised donrickles.

I used to be very strict on this , and would call for assistance / have kid removed if they refused to sit where I told them.

Then I lost a gig because of this. Kid complained, upset at not be able to continue sitting and doing / not doing what they wanted, I was told not to darken school's doors again.

lovejoy_antiques likes this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

A familiar story, @tonymars. The supply teacher follows the school discipline policy, making work for the SMT (with perhaps a parental complaint that the child has fallen foul of the discipline policy), and the supply gets blamed, then dumped.

9. lovejoy_antiques

I think on supply you need to suss out quickly if they want you there for teaching or if it's just about containment!

tonymars likes this.
  10. lovejoy_antiques

Yep. The fact that they only had you in because the last guy had a nervous breakdown passes them by! Management are too busy organising that twilight session on staff well being.

11. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Yes lovejoy - suss it out quickly...that may be the key. Remembering of course that even if you ask existing staff for a straight answer, you might not get a straight response. And never forgetting that we, individually, are completely disposable.

lovejoy_antiques likes this.
  12. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

The tell-tale comments from kids I find is that "we've had nothing but a series of supply teachers". A series? Why a series.....?

13. lovejoy_antiques

When you can tell the kids pride themselves on how many supply teachers they have driven out/got sacked you know you're in for a rough ride!

14. lovejoy_antiques

Yes, watch out for the Orwellian double speak from management! Also if you are simply told to follow the school behaviour policy you can be guaranteed that that policy is designed to make you give up ever reporting anything again! IMG_20180513_142947.jpg

elvispenhaligon and abwdSTEM like this.