1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seating plan advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by captain oats, Aug 22, 2011.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I have a tricky class coming up in September (lucky me!). I'm just after a bit of advice on how I should seat the children.
    They are a Year 5 class of 22 and their previous teacher has warned me about 4 or 5 of them. She said they bounce off each other and as soon as one starts the others will follow (being silly, calling out, talking to each other across the room etc).
    My ideas are as follows:
    1) Seat them in separate corners of the room where they cannot talk to or see each other and seat them with sensible pupils on their tables.
    2) Or I have had the crazy idea of just sitting them together at the same table, that way they won't be calling out across the room and distracting others. But then I can see that being a problem in that they won't do any work!

What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions? Thanks :)

2. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I have a tricky class coming up in September (lucky me!). I'm just after a bit of advice on how I should seat the children.
    They are a Year 5 class of 22 and their previous teacher has warned me about 4 or 5 of them. She said they bounce off each other and as soon as one starts the others will follow (being silly, calling out, talking to each other across the room etc).
    My ideas are as follows:
    1) Seat them in separate corners of the room where they cannot talk to or see each other and seat them with sensible pupils on their tables.
    2) Or I have had the crazy idea of just sitting them together at the same table, that way they won't be calling out across the room and distracting others. But then I can see that being a problem in that they won't do any work!

What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions? Thanks :)

3. All and any. Just be flexible and see what works. Be really firm with the behaviour policy and make sure the SMT back you up. At least you've only got 22. You might find that sitting them at individual desks might work for some lessons.
    However, make sure you don't assume that this is how they will behave with you. One thing about taking on board everything the previous teacher says it that it can colour your view of the children before you even start teaching them.
    BTW, I really like the idea about putting them all together. Might work for some activities. [​IMG]

4. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I've tried both methods and I have to say it depends on both your patience and the rest of the class. I find that chatty silly children have a tendency to talk no matter who you put them next to! On transition day I ask my children to choose 1 person to sit next to who they think they can work with sensibly and they have the first week back to prove this to me. The first pairing to start messing around are quickly split up and made an example of. This generally makes the rest of them think twice.
    Another factor to think about is do you have any extra adult support? If you do then take this into account of where they will be positioned too. And then of course there's the lessons where you have ability groups...the little darlings always seem to be in the same group!

5. Put them all on one table in the front centre of the room, that way you can be at other tables to support as required but still be right beside theirs!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would say forget worrying about the seating and start thinking about how you will manage their behaviour.

I inherited a similarly described class last year with about 10 children who 'can't sit with .......'or they will misbehave/call out/be silly/not work/make people cry'. No they flippin didn't! They weren't allowed to!

Be very firm and clear about behaviour/rewards/sanctions/rules and in a few weeks you will have a class who can all sit with anyone and everyone and yet still behave and work.

Start with them sat how you would group them if you didn't know this information and go from there.

7. Mission control my colleague calls it! All the ones you want to keep an eye on together.
    I had about 4 such lively characters in a class about 3 years ago. If they were separated, they still tried to carry on their distracting behaviours and you were just then trying to keep your eye on all 4 corners of the classroom. Having them right under your nose can be really annoying too. Sit them off to one side, where you can move easily to be in their proximity, but they are not in front of the whole class to benefit from an audience.
    One thing I found that has worked really well, is to keep this type of pupil busy. The ones in the class I mentioned had all sorts of jobs like logining in computers etc each day so they were occupied and not bored.