1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal tidings, the year ahead, briefer and more interesting than the Queen's 3pm thingy.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Foneypharaoh, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Any New Year resolutions? Mine, as expressed so adequately by James Agate, is 'to tolerate fools more gladly, provided this does not encourage them to take up more of my time.'

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

One of mine, as always, is to shed the extra five kilos which have crept on over the winter. When I mentioned this last year Mr Maker read me a lecture on taking adequate exercise and not eating too many Emperor Burgers. As I already eat a 70% vegetarian 100% Mediterranean diet, live on a 1:5 slope and take two active dogs (one of them a greyhound-mastiff cross) on daily hikes over the hills this wasn't particularly useful advice. It couldn't possibly be the drink that's the problem, could it?

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Hombre, claro que no, conho.
    Of course not.
    Cut out the vino tinto, and you could hardly claim to be observing a '100% Mediterranean' regime.
    Besides, the spectre of recession is haunting Europe, and this is no time for narrow narcissistic niggling over willowy waistlines.
    For anyone with any surplus income at all, the dictates of duty are clear - we must redouble our efforts to consume, treating every week of the New Year as a Yuletide pig-a-thon so as to prop up the local economy.
    Not an onerous task here in beautiful Ruritania, where fish, flesh and fowl grace the groaning board thrice daily, and purple-mouthed Bacchus perpetually plies his winking wineglass.
    Who would be Prince Hal when he could be Falstaff, Don Quixote when he could be Sancho Panza, MisterMaker when he could be Phoney Pharaoh ?
    For 2012 I have resolved to give up watching sport on TV. Not in order to go swimming or jogging, but so as to occupy an even more comfortable chair and do some serious reading.
    Very best wishes for the New Year, to all frequenters of this forum.
    D. x

4. Please Santa if it's not too late to ask - please could you give us a 'like' button on TES?
    [​IMG]

5. One punter might be looking for a 'dislike' button.
    [​IMG]

6. I saw it as being a compliment to you FP
    Happy New Year
    [​IMG]

7. ¡Vaya!

8. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

It was certainly intended that way - as well as attempting to reassure the Cap'n and other middle-aged hedonists in the vicinity that those five kilos, that hint of portliness, that noble embonpoint, is evidence of a life well lived and an economic and cultural duty fulfilled.
    Special New Year greetings to notyet [​IMG]

9. As I did. I was referring to another punter!

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

.. and particular New Year greetings to MisterMaker, almost certainly enjoying a drink or two in some ex-pat dive right now, while watching his favourite footballers on TV.
    Unless he's back in the UK for the holiday season and, who knows, perhaps actually freezing his butt off in the Alex Ferguson stand as the Powers of Evil struggle with Blackburn Rovers.
    It's next year I'm giving up sport on the telly.

11. Ah I see, of course
    poor old Prince Hal

12. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Manchester United just lost to Blackburn.
    I reckon Kean has just bought himself a wonderful New Year's eve party!

13. What?
    YIIIIIISSSSSSS!!!!!! GO ED LA! Result!
    A happy new year was had by all (except those Mancs)
    [​IMG]

14. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

and... er.. also those of us who love Lampard, dote on Drogba and cheer for Chech.
    Mrs D. is inconsolable, and the New Year fizz will probably remain unopened tonight.
    Oh well, Bristol City had an outstanding RRESSSULT! yesterday, but such is local parochialism that Ruritania TV never shows their games.

15. Mainwaring

I was disturbed to read that war had apparently broken out between several English cities but Mrs M has reassured me that it is all to do with a pastime called 'football'. Apparently some men are paid enormous sums of money to kick a sort of bladder around a field. Though tedious in itself this seems very attractive in terms of lucre and I understand that the short working hours leave much free time for more creative pursuits. How do I apply?

16. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Don't even dream of applying until you have sweated off those five kilos.
    Then learn to press the side of one nostril while evacuating the other.
    Also mug up on your racial abuse - not tame 'fkoff aussie' stuff but the serious nastiness that the tabloids like.
    Practise hurling yourself to the ground and rolling around screaming whenever one of your dogs so much as growls at your ankle.
    Reduce your vocabulary to 2,000 words (if you want to play for England) or 4,000 if you prefer to qualify as a 'fancy furriner'.
    If you have not already developed a predilection for cocaine-fuelled group sex scenarios in five star hotels, then now is the time to begin.
    It's a demanding life, but well worth while - and relegation-dommed Wigan need you sooner rather than later.
    If you think this is too much like hard work, lower your financial and intellectual sights a little and consider becoming a Rugby player.

17. I believe Abdullah Bin Nasser Al-Thani is looking for new talent.

18. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Is Málaga the Wigan of Spain, or is Wigan Britain's own Málaga ?

19. Mainwaring

In the aftermath of copious libations of the DYC and a very good 2008 Borja I'll pass on the filosofía.
    ¡Feliz Año a todos!

20. Igualmente from the kitchen. 'Babette's Feast' is nearly ready.