1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seaside - numeracy ideas

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by 1Elmer, Jun 13, 2009.

1. I have an observation on friday and need an outstanding lesson based around the seaside and numeracy. Does anyone have any super ideas?!

2. mermaid

mermaid New commenter

I read mine 'Sharing a Shell' by Julia Donaldson and then did a week of numeracy work based on counting in threes/ ordering according to size with shells and sharing whith shells.
    Not sure if any of it was outstanding but the kids have enjoyed it.

3. Super idea thanks! But i dont have 'Sharing a shell' or much time to get it! anyone else?!

4. mermaid

mermaid New commenter

Also we have been doing capacity in the water with differently sized sandcastle buckets. I put blue glitter in the water which upped the engagement level ;-) Obviously this is a small group thing due to water tray limitations.
    What do you think you might do? Any thoughts already? If so people might be able to add to them for you.

5. Thanks! as the main activity i might do patterns with seaside shapes but ut out independent activities for TA to indirectly support like putting the shells into a pattern, etc.

6. Amazedbygrace - Basically meant that i was doing a focused activity while TA was supporting the chn in the environment with child initiated as well as activities i will leave out. I basically need ideas for a numeracy lesson around pattern that's related to the seaside. My LA and some MA chn are still struggling with this but the focus is how we target the higher achievers and i wasnt sure how i could do this either! any ideas with differentiation would be great thanks.

7. A really quick post All Join in has a seaside sequencing sheet. http://www.alljoinin.net/All_Join_In/Printables.html

8. Thanks amazedbygrace (love the name by the way), that's a really useful website. We are doing seaside at the moment and one activity that we are doing is pattern/sequencing using sponge painting. I put out different sponge fish shapes and paint. The children sequence different colour fish. Very simple using 2 or 3 different colours.

9. we dont have any fish shape sponges! what if i gave them all a fish shape and they put the scales on but in patterns?

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You could cut fish shapes out of kitchen sponges quite easily but fish shapes would work too

11. We're making sandcastles at the moment, yoghurt pots covered in pva glue and sand, and we've been putting different colour flags in them to make repeating patterns. You could have a big piece of blue backing paper cut into a wavey shape and all the children could stick pre-cut paper boats/ shells/ fish/ whatever you prefer on to make repeating patterns - this could then form part of a seaside display. You could also look at different types of patterns e.g. repeated actions/ sounds - e.g. use instruments to make seaside sounds like waves, breeze, seagulls etc.
    Capacity has been mentioned already - could be done in sand or water.

12. That would be fine as that is what we are going to do as well.

13. Forget the yogurt pots just build sandcastles, they can make flags, patterns - repeating and others. turn the water tray into a rock pool with a bit of blue and green food colouring, like the glitter.
    Set up an ice cream parlour in the role play area inside or out -********** has a complete set of printables
    http://www.**********.co.uk/thumbs791-795/sb793prev.html
    Read Lighthouse Keepers Lunch and have some making sandwiches real or plastic to put in basket, they can write out their recipie ideas or find pictures to cut out and stick on 'menu' sheet.
    Press shells into playdough to make molds, cover with cling film and fill with plaster of paris then when dry they can paint their shells... any more udeas needed?
    Good Luck, have fun I love doing 'Seaside'