1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seaside Holidays from the past - Yr 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by snorkellinginthesea, Apr 9, 2012.

1. I am trying to make sure the start of this topic is intresting and creative. I am thinking of starting off with recreating a journey to the seaside in 1900 followed by in the 1950's and then in 2012. The journey part is quite easy to recreate e.g trains and cars. I can also sort of beach changing huts, punch and judy, would like to have a donkey but am unsure how to do this without a real one! Any ideas to help inspire me would be very welcome.

2. how about something like this . . . http://www.etsy.com/listing/73253684/stick-horse-hobby-horse-red-roan (I know it isn't a donkey but it does look a bit like one !!)

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can I ask how???? I'm doing this topic with year 2 and haven't a clue how to resource it on the cheap. We have nothing at school currently, so I need to make whatever I need.

4. Hi minnieminx,
    I plan to 'borrow' a PE stool and then ask a colleague who is good at art to paint me a donkey so it looks like one. For the bathing huts we are lucky enough to have 3 wooden home corners which could be converted. Punch and Judy are in the history box and in the playground we have a ready made hut that can be draped with material to become a theatre. My problems are the amount of sand needed as I think it will need to be real whereas the sea I was going to use either material or a paddling pool? Am still in the early stages of thinking how to do this though.
    snorkellingbythesea

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ahhhhh...lucky indeed.

Maybe my year 2 could make/sew some Punch and Judy puppets and convert a table to make a theatre.

I have a fair number of blue blankets to use for 'sea', but haven't got the sand sorted either. Don't really want it to be real in the classroom...might need to get some yellow coloured material.

6. I was thinking of 2 sessions in the playground (weather permitting) covering 1900's, then 1950's and then today when they visit our local seaside resort. This way there is no mess in the classroom. We are lucky enough to have a large field off the playground so plenty of room to create! I was going to get the children to dress up as well and offer ice cream off the paper as an experience. I saw an article in Child Ed (old one) where a school did something similar to this for Barnaby Bear around the World in Mexico. It looked really good and I think it will be easy to show every child making progress in the lesson. Fingers crossed!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds fab!