1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Searching TES for GTP vacancies

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by danwent, May 20, 2008.

1. You can probably forget TES site. Carry on with contacting schools - this is probably your best bet and how I think most people find their school. Maybe try and get in to visit & observe in some schools too - get to see what they're like, and get your face seen.

Occasionally schools advertise for GTPers but I think this is fairly unusual.

2. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I applied for an advertised job, saying would you consider taking me on as a GTP? It took 4 months for them to get back, but I got a place with them. I wasn't in a hurry and they could easily recruit staff. Find out which schools regularly take GTP staff, some really don't like it, others do it all the time. Know of one city academy that advertises regularly for GTP staff. Good luck with the hunt!

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter

GTPs tend to come with experience of working in schools already often as TA or LSA.So schools recruit internally. Rarely do you see a GTP advert in the National Press more likely to be local rag or council website

4. I would suggest contacting the head of the department you wish to teach in, or the head teacher if Primary, offering yourself as a volunteer as you wish to train as a teacher. Once they know you ask if they would consider supporting you. Schools in my borough (E. London) are inundated with requests- often quite arrogantly if not rudely expressed- to take them on as a GTP, so can't see why schools would pay £1K to advertise in TES!

5. jimmegee

jimmegee New commenter

OK thanks for all the advice - I've made contact with a few very helpful local schools with a view to observing and who do offer GTP places so this seems like the best route. Wish me luck!

6. im in east london !- im a bit at a loss of how to go about getting a gtp place - I think I may have missed the boat as ever time I start to do my research - I get offered a long term supply teaching post in ict - been doing this for the past 3 years.
    I dont want to continue picking up bad habits. But there is a need for good teachers - which I want to be- but have been in situations where there has been no curriculum - or lead teacher.
    I have a pgce - for FE. But actally prefer teaching secondary - Not sure I want to teach in E.london -as its where I live, but would prefer surrounding areas - I drive - would this be a problem?
    Also - when I did ask a gtp place last year I was told that I have to apply to schools myself and then when I have found one - to contact the gtp people - shouldnt it be the other way around?? this is because I also heard from another source that there is a qualifying criteria for the school offering - ie it cant be a failing school - and I ve been teaching in quite a few failing schools...
    So now Im confused. not seem to be getting good help - And the teachnet people keep contacting me once every six months and I keep telling them that I m not happy - but still dont get any good practical advice that helps.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter

It is really a case of finding a post in a school . Realistically the number of GTP places is very limited- in my borough only 4 have got places this year. Most do recruit internally which is why you never see GTP adverts.
    Many schools do not use the GTP at all- others infrequently-some every year. Training schools tend to use it the most.
    Check the EBITTS- TDA website -for the area and make contact with them asking for names of schools who have recruited in the past- then send your cv into these schools- December to Jan is a good time close enough to the new year for schools to start thinking about the intake next September.

8. There is another possibility. Could you get QTS by assessment as you already have a PGCE and experience? I know the OU flexible PGCE has a route for this, and I think the Institute for Education does too. Why not phone the TDA and talk to them?