1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Search

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mrjack, Dec 15, 2017.

1. mrjack

mrjack New commenter

Hi all,
    Read somewhere on here that Search is a big fuss to join but very much worth it.
    At the moment I am relying on TES, and sounds like teach any place and looking for teachers.
    Would search give access to many more jobs and increase my chances greatly ?

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

3. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I think it's worth it. It is a long process but once it's done it doesn't take a lot to maintain your profile.

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Opinions vary wildly but I would generally say it's worth the hassle and money, especially if you are planning on being on the int'l circuit for an extended period of time. Once your account is active you only have to update when you have new jobs/references etc.

We always found the database and job postings the best part of Search and very much worth it, even if you end up with a shiite associate and never go to a job fair.

5. rosygrl

rosygrl New commenter

yeh like Search are laughing all the way to the bank. They get probably $10k for each teacher they place. They wont be cheap. Just like placing an ad on TES isnt cheap. Why give them the money? Just apply for the jobs yourself. You dont need an expensive agency to get a job for you. same for supply agencies back home in the UK. Loads of schools waste loads of money paying supply agencies to find them teachers. The supply teaching business/agency business is a big racket.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  6. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

I'm not entirely convinced by Search because all of my jobs have come via other websites. Each to their own...

7. dumbbells66

Its the database you need access to, and the school information is invaluable. TES should REALLY take note of that.

Dont bother applying through them, just get the information off there and apply directly. They also have a large amount of IB schools listed, and there are a LOT more IB schools around the world than other types of curriculum.

Its also useful that schools can search for you. I have had numerous offers this way.

8. grandslam2005

grandslam2005 New commenter

I have used Search on 3 seperate occasions. I have been offered jobs at all 3 fairs in London and accepted one. I do not teach a shortage subject so the number of options was limited. The associate I had was helpful and the systems in place such as the formal job offer paper provided by Serach for schools to use are good for both parties. I have also found them useful for networking and speaking to people who work in schools or countries that I was interested in.

I have also used other agencies with varying degrees of success. The registration process is very long winded but I would say worthwhile. The information provided by schools can be useful and informative on things like salary, etc but sometimes is a little patchy.

I would say go for it, but also keep your ear to the ground via TES and other agencies to keep your options as open as possible. As a maths teacher I am sure there will be plenty of opportunties. Good luck!!

9. oldgit

oldgit New commenter

Have we met before? Do you teech musik?

Alldone likes this.
  10. dumbbells66

Its free for Brits musikteech.

11. Penny10p

Penny10p New commenter

I'm not sure Search is worth it. Its a major hassle to join and if you freeze your membership, because you get a job, it is not easy to re-register. I have just re-registered for the second time. This time around I had to provide the name of the principal of my first school which I worked at 15 years ago. I couldn't remember their name and spent hours looking through old paperwork to find it. Search are very inflexible. My current principal took weeks to do the reference, in spite of many reminders. I already had several references on file, including 2 from my previous school, which was less than 2 years ago. I would have thought that I could be allowed access to the database to look at schools and see what positions were being advertised while we were waiting for the reference, or that they would accept a reference from another line manager, but no, I had to wait for the a reference from my current principal. Now that I have been 'activated' I am looking at schools listed but I don't seem to be finding information about the curriculum that the school follows. I would have thought that this was key info. I have signed up for a job fair and been told that I have to pay to attend! This is a new thing. it's bad enough having to pay to travel to the venue and pay for accommodation, without having to pay to attend the fair. All this and I have never got a job through Search!

12. dumbbells66

I just pressed a button and got re activated !!! I was then asked to read the terms and conditions again, and then provide an up to date reference. It was hardly a bind !!!!!.
    There are so many schools that will only use them, and a lot of the "top tier" schools, it would be silly not to sign up.... but each to their own

13. Penny10p

Penny10p New commenter

Your experience was clearly completely different from mine dumbbells!

14. SineField

SineField New commenter

Its an interesting one since I myself have recently signed up for Search.

The info on each school is indeed very comprehensive and useful.

However, I suspect that there are quite a few international schools who are registered with Search but who don't necessarily place their jobs with them. I have seen several schools who are registered who have job vacancies if you go direct to their school websites, but who do not appear as schools with current vacancies on Search.

But then I am a newb and so could be missing out on something!

15. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I reactivated mine back in July and all I needed was an updated reference from my head which he did in less than 24hrs. I've never had to pay for Search, so for me, the initial process, although long, was worth it for all the information I now have access to.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  16. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Your experience sounds unfortunate but not in line with ours or most of the teachers I know who have used them. Also, the fee for a fair on top of the registration is definitely NOT new. Back in 2010 we were charged $50.00 to attend a fair. Annoying but hardly a tragedy or a deal breaker (even it's gone up some).

17. Penny10p

Penny10p New commenter

Sorry if my post was misleading. I am being charged $105 to attend a fair. I attended the same fair two years ago and didn't have to pay at all. I have also found that they DO include the info about the curriculum on the school details page. I agree with Sinefield that several schools don't have their current vacancies listed on Search. I have seen positions on TES which are not on Search. I assume the schools don't want to pay twice. So I would always check TES and Search. One thing I do like is the daily email with all their positions listed. As I said I have just recently got re-registered so I'll see how it goes.

18. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

I spent ages signing up, when I finally did, there wasn't one job I wanted to apply for, it depends on what you want, as others have said it's mainly schools with the IB or American curriculum which I don't fancy. I'll still keep an eye on the site, but think I'll get my job from TES. Think it's worth signing up for though, just to see what's out there.

19. dumbbells66

You mean the curriculums that out number the British curriculums significantly on the international circuit, and therefore massively increase your chances of getting employed.

Yeh, i have no idea why people would want to sign up for that !!!!!!!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

20. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

Who are you talking too?

If it's me I think you will find I said that people should sign up and see what it out there, particularly if you are happy teaching those curriculums, it's just my preference not to teach or have my children go though those educational systems.

rosygrl likes this.