1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Search Paying Twice?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Zimrilim, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

I attempted to log in to my Search account but it wasn't accepted. Then I receive an email from my associates, both of which turn pages as a dad and daughter combo, based in the UAE and they require the followinf; $225 For a rejoicing fee and an additional $75 For any fair I might sign up to. I'm confused. I thought it was a one off payment for membership. Given that I got my last but one job via them and it was he'll. Is it worth paying again to put up with this kind o carp. Btw, so far the best jobs I've found so far have been via TES. All constructive advice welcome as we're a teaching couple so they'll want double. Many thanks.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It’s not once and done. I think it’s for one year , and you only pay for the years you’re seeking.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

If you have a UK address when you sign up its free. Why have you paid anything? Anyone outside the UK i thought had to pay ever 2 years.

4. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I think its three years or until you find a job, which ever is shorter.

5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Agree.

6. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Seems like you didn't enjoy the experience last time. I know what you mean!
    There are many other ways to find international jobs and although many find Search useful, many others hate the fair,
    I know I won't use them again (even though I did get job offers) .Try TES and other online agencies.Its not necessary to use Search.

Oh and don't assume that all the best schools go to Search. The school where I got the job from Search was actually one of the worst I worked at.

7. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

I found them awful and that was without having to pay a penny. Better watch though that is blasphemy around here. They are just not worth the hassle and plenty of other ways to get jobs.

8. karel

karel Occasional commenter

You have to pay every three years, unless you are assigned to the U.K. consultant , which seems to happen by chance. It’s nothing to do with being in the Uk. Perhaps if you get s job through them, that they know abiut, then the registration period ends. Not sure abiut this part.

9. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Can confirm it's three years or until you secure a position. I secured a position in this, my third year, having hit my own school's renewal deadline two years running without seeing anything I fancied applying for. So I archived, and then re-activated, my account twice.

Based on mine and others experiences, the way some of the crusty old Heads they employ as Associates communicate with job-seekers is curt at best and downright rude at worst. I applied for a job listed on Search, got it, notified Search, finding the job in the relevant drop-down list, so despite no communication from my Associate in those three years save one email I guess they'll get a commission to add to my own fee.

There's an article in 'the other place' about the apparent on-going demise of recruitment fairs. If that is the case, I wonder if Search's 'market position' will be effected. I've had to provide all the documentation housed on Search, and additional references, to my new school so Search has only acted as a rather expensive bulletin board. The same job was advertised on a different free platform later too, so like others here I'm not seeing any Search magic either.

10. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

As an afterthought, I suppose you do get access to their database. This could stop you wasting time applying to schools that don't meet your financial needs, assuming it's accurate.

Do Search verify information supplied by member schools? Is being a Search member school any sort of meaningful 'kite mark' for quality? Just wondering if Search did more than was obvious to me.

11. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

. There are plenty of not-so-great ones on their books if ISR is to be believed.

12. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Its the database you need. All the rest is not worth it, just find out the information you need and apply to the school directly. What other "agencies" dont have is that database.