1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Search Fair London

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lovely.lady, Apr 20, 2012.

1. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

It is going to cost me almost £300 before any meals - my question 'is it worth it?'

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Depends how good you really are. Later events aren't as good as the Janaury ones, but competition may be high. What is your subject? Did you complete current contract? If no to completing the contract, forget using Search if you ever break contract with a Search school.

3. lovely.lady

I'm FAB!
    Primary - UK; PYP; IPC
    Still in current contract - 3 months left but have resigned!
    Surely there are no 'Search' schools - these are just schools who using Search as a recruitment agency!

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

In that case you'll do just fine.
    If you insist on a more formal / pedantic approach: forget using Search again if you ever break contract with a school you gained a contract with through Search. (meens the same fink really)
    At least being primary there's likely to be a few jobs; especialy where people left it late to resign.
    I have worked at 'Search schools' in the past, but didn't use Search to get the jobs. I know Harry and David, and they are as helpful and wonderful as most people seem to think.

5. lovely.lady

What happened to Hadocks post?

6. Some dastardly individual removed it... me. I was referring to some unfortunate incident that happened around ten years ago. But since some of the individuals concerned sometimes lurk on this board I have asked the TES to delete it. Anyway the bottom line was: David Cope is indeed a very good person.

7. Ooh, Haddok, you ladies' man, you. You didn't correct lovely.lady's misspelling of your name did you? Me, hairy a4rsed bloke, yes - her, no!
    Bet if you were a market stall holder, she'd get an extra apple to the pound...
    For what it's worth, I found Harry a number 1 chap. I also know of a Head of School here in Cairo who left to become a member of 'Searh Australia/NZ' or something like that and he is a top man, too.
    Not many bad stories about Search, I reckon.

8. I did do a double take when I saw the spelling, but... what can I say. You got me sussed. I do have a soft spot for ladies. Especially the self proclaimed lovely ones.

9. [​IMG] That doesn't make you a bad person...
    She might be fibbing, mind....

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Recently a TES journalist described a recruitment fair as being "a very unsexy kind of speed dating."

11. Implying that speed dating is sexy. Hmmm...
    Sexy speed dating would be that you actually get to have a quick grind with whoever you might choose.
    So, like my home town on a weekend.
    Nice.

12. Perhaps you don't get out enough...
    [​IMG]

13. lovely.lady

I wouldn't want to in my home town - its been featured on Big Fat Gypsy Weddings don't you know!

14. ooh, I understand now - a quick grind would mean using a peg or holding one's breath. A tough old feat.....
    [​IMG]