1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Search Engine

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by Goodeyedeers, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Goodeyedeers

Goodeyedeers New commenter

Is anyone else finding the search engine less than helpful?
    When I'm looking for just paid resources it is difficult because they are all mixed in with the free ones. If I filter to 'lowest price' then all the free ones come up first. If I use the 'highest rated' filter, then again I get the free ones - they are the resources with thousands of downloads and consequently more reviews. The 'relevance' filter is the better one, but still I find a mixture of free and paid.
    As an author I need to try and work out how best to present my work so that it is going to show up in the search engines, at present this is somewhat difficult, to say the least.
    As an author I would also like to see what other authors are producing in terms of similar premium resources.

Any thoughts on how I can best move forward would be much appreciated.

2. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

I know what you mean. When I do searches for my own stuff, it's very hit and miss. Don't really know why, but it definitely has an impact on sales. I always have to put the exact title of the resource and even then it usually doesn't come out on top. Confusing and annoying that potential customers are not coming across my resources in a search (page 4 or later). Would also welcome advice on this matter.

3. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

I agree with you about the search engine. It is very difficult to get views on my new products. The search engine seems to favour free products. If TES want more quality resources from authors they need to work on ways of getting quality paid resources in front of potential customers. Many of the landing pages also feature old, sometimes poor quality resources that remain on those vital landing pages 'forever'. They seldom seem to change. I would like to see the 'latest / newest' resources somewhere on the site and to give them a decent length of time on those landing pages to be viewed. I think this would be a better way of encouraging authors to produce more resources rather than focusing on 'quantity'. Please TES look at ways of getting paid resources being 'found'!

4. jemmadaniels

jemmadaniels New commenter Staff Member

Hello TES Authors!

I’m the new Digital Merchandising Manager at TES, and one of my first tasks is to look at our search algorithms and improve the functionality as a whole across the resources marketplace. We’re going to be testing on specific keywords and categories by changing the weightings around relevance, best-sellers, top rated, date created etc. and aiming to make this a better experience for both you as authors, as well as buyers. I'd like to hear your feedback and suggestions around what the main pinch points are and what you'd like to see in an ideal world. I can't guarantee it will all be possible, but I will be taking all suggestions on board and seeing what we can do to improve things.

Many thanks,
    Jemma
    TES Resources Team