1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEAL

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by transilvanian, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Did anyone else hear 'Dispatches' on radio 4 last week?(think that was the programme on quite late one night). In it a parent was questioning the worth of SEAL in schools. She claimed that it was based on absolutely no research and was invented as a way to train kids to put up, ask no questions and shut up in readiness for the Tesco checkout. Couldn't help thinking that the reporter had a point. Is SEAL a load of old new age tosh & have some of us been sold the Emporer's new clothes? Some of the 1:1 behaviour tasks are good but I have found alot of the content for classes particularly to seem pointless. What do others think?

2. Regarding " I think you mean...". : What about SEAL? Is it a total waste of time and energy or are you just trawling for grammatical kicks?

3. I didn't hear the prog, but have done a lot of reading about SEAL. My main problem with it is that the vast majority of children have social and emotional development that is absolutely fine, and don't require some kind of intervention. For schools, and there are some, where a significant proportion of kids do have poor development in these areas (and they tend to be crowded together in the same few schools), it's nothing like enough to address the depth of these children's problems and possibly too late to be of any help.
    On a different level, it's agenda risks establishing certain behaviours as 'norms' - but not everyone wants to share all their feelings, for example. It won't help them to do so and it's not part of their character. Are teacher setc to be 'concerned' if little Jimmy doesn't want to share his feelings at circle time?. Maybe he's just a private person and he has the right to be.
    And it tends to put forward some plain wrong ideas such as that we should never ever hurt anyone else's feelings. Sadly, that's often unavoidable. I fear it could induce, especially in sensitive children, a fear that every social interaction is fraught with opportunities to hurt and upset people, and therefore it's easier to withdraw. Children are usually naturally quite socially confident, although competence tends to come with time and they will pick it up without the school intervening. I can also see the issue some people have suggested that it can encourage narcissism and a feeling that everything should be about them and how they feel.
    How often do you hear kids who have failed and school and been disruptive say things like 'No one cared about how I felt' and wanted to ask 'Maybe. But did you behave with care towards the feelings and needs of your classmates and teachers?'