1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEAL group

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by KG21, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Hi ive been asked to run a seal group- ive never done this before and dont have a clue where to start. I have very limited materials as far as im aware :s

any advice please?
    x

2. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi, all I can suggest is to google the DfES website this hopefully will give you a starter. I am no expert but suggest that you focus on addressing empathy, managing feelings (focusing on anger) and social skills, I use these as my topics throughout the year. I run two social groups and both groups are children from year three. At the start of each session we remind ourselves of the groups rules, I laminated these rules and we go over them one one by. We then do various activities per session, it could be something quite simple like playing a game, this in itself will highlight the children that have difficultly in sharing or losing etc and they can then begin to be shown how to deal with this. All through the sessions I make sure that I always praise the children that are trying their best to follow our rules, all children get a sticker at the end of each session and the child that I feel has tried their best in following the rules will also get a reward out of my box, this does work extremely well for these groups of children , but might not work for other groups it's all trial and error to begin with.. I also make sure that the children are aware of carrying on these new learnt skills outside of the group as well, for example I work in my groups class during the day so if I see a child showing these skills I make a point of telling them that. I think most importantly is to make all sessions FUN.
    I hope this has been of some help, i'm sure other people with more knowledge than me can offer more sound advice, good luck with your groups and enjoy.

3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

The school will have the SEAL book which you follow.It is really easy.You can down load it too as suggested above.You can add in bits of your own to extend it.You will enjoy it.Might I suggest thumb balls too as they are good to start or end a session on.The kids really enjoy them.I'm not doing it this year as I'm teaching another class and I was a bit disappointed.Ask one of the staff for guidance at the beginning but don't worry you will soon get the hang of it :)

4. Seal is an amazing subject to teach! In your school you should have some material that will guide you and guve you lesson plans these are available for each phase group! I currently work in year 3 and teach S.E.A.L regularly. If you any queries or need any suggestions I will be quite willing to help ( if I can). We looked at Mr Men and Litte Miss not long ago and ued S.E.A.L themes to hot seat the more difficult characters like Mr Grumpy and the children loved it! The children will suprise you as they often ask better questions then those that we set ha ha.

5. Hi thanks for your replies :0) Start them next week will get back to you with any questions.

thanks again x

6. http://www.teachfind.com/national-strategies/primary-seal-silver-set-key-stage-2-small-group-activities
    Here are the small group activites for KS2
    And here are the rest of the resources for SEAL
    If you look at the small group activites for years 1 and 2 you should get lots of ideas. A lot of these KS1 group activites can be used for higher up the school too. Generally speaking I have found that the older children who have emotional/social problems enjoy working on the KS1 materials.
    If you need anymore help give me a shout I am an ELSA (Emotional Literacy support assistant) I do this type of work every day.