1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seal gone on French doors

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, May 20, 2011.

1. The seal has gone on a set of French doors I have in a property I rent out, adn the doors are misted up. I was wondering if I can have the seal replaced - or is it more or less the same job as having the whole lot replaced?
    Would appreciate any advice/experience, please.
    Many thanks

2. The seal has gone on a set of French doors I have in a property I rent out, adn the doors are misted up. I was wondering if I can have the seal replaced - or is it more or less the same job as having the whole lot replaced?
    Would appreciate any advice/experience, please.
    Many thanks

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Get a quote for having the double glazed units replaced into the existing frames. It might not be as expensive as you fear.

4. Build an enclosure which stops the seal getting out.

5. Or alternatively leave 7 dead fish scattered around the patio...and a set of horns ( if you feel in a party mood.) The seal will come back when its hugry.

6. Thanks, all for the helpful comments.(Bauble) I have just had some fitted elsewhere for £700, and don't feel like paying that much. She is a good tenant and I don't mind doing it but just looking for a cost-efficient way of doing so.

7. Sorry. :¬))

You have three options.
    1) Replace the complete french door....expensive
    2) Replace the defective sealed unit only....less expensive, valid option.
    3) have the defective unit repaired.....cheaper still but not sure about the effectiveness.

http://www.doubleglazingrepairs.com/

8. THanks Bauble. Now. why can't you be sensible and helpful like that all the time? I have emailed a contact to see if he can do it, but on a quick internet search I couldn't find what I needed.
    XX

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

House-training the seal would probably be cheaper than completely replacing it.

10. The seal went on my bedroom window - medium sized one. Cost me £85 to have the whole glass replaced (and leaded).

11. Surfy and Eggy weren't being helpful either, Miss.

Lev and lindy are swots ..na na na nana .

PS net curtains are cheaper still. xx

12. Bloody hell the seal has been on somebody's bedroom window! I thought it was only seagulls who did that.

13. I'm glad you're all finding this so amusing.

14. I'm sorry for being a pane.

15. You're so transparent.

16. I wuz framed, m'lud.

17. I can see right through you.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maybe you need to make this incontinent seal a privy, then it could be a....

19. I used to have a seal that liked and agreed with everything. It was a seal of...

20. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Oh no, no, no, no!