1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEAL Assemblies

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gemma77, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of any SEAL (Social, Emotional Aspects of Learning - it's a PSCHE programme) assembly resources - other than the file that you can buy?

I am responsible for organising the year group assemblies for our junior school and because we teach SEAL we really need to be using their assemblies. I was given a book by Jenny Moseley which is called 'Active Assemblies - for SEAL' but it looks incredibly babyish for Key Stage 2 (pretending to have a squeaking gingerbread man in your handbag etc!) - and impractical (bringing a bike into school as one of the props!)

I'm starting to tear my hair out!!

Alternatively - can anyone recommend any assembly resources they use (not necessarily SEAL). I want to be able to provide each year group which assemblies that they can literally take out a minute before, and read. Minimum preparation.

Thanks

2. Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of any SEAL (Social, Emotional Aspects of Learning - it's a PSCHE programme) assembly resources - other than the file that you can buy?

I am responsible for organising the year group assemblies for our junior school and because we teach SEAL we really need to be using their assemblies. I was given a book by Jenny Moseley which is called 'Active Assemblies - for SEAL' but it looks incredibly babyish for Key Stage 2 (pretending to have a squeaking gingerbread man in your handbag etc!) - and impractical (bringing a bike into school as one of the props!)

I'm starting to tear my hair out!!

Alternatively - can anyone recommend any assembly resources they use (not necessarily SEAL). I want to be able to provide each year group which assemblies that they can literally take out a minute before, and read. Minimum preparation.

Thanks

3. KnightRider

KnightRider New commenter

Yes!! I've seen a set of books called a techer's dozen published by an organisation called twelve baskets (www.teachersdozen.co.uk). I'm getting one for my school because they looked good - as you describe - something you can pick up and use. They are bible based though, so it depends how Christian you can be in your assemblies. For a church school like mine they looked ideal. I teach year 6 and the book I looked at didn't look too young.

4. Great! Thanks for your quick reply. They do look really good, although not sure if entirely suitable as we're a community school and not meant to be overtly Christian biased.... will talk to the Head about it.

The lack of resources are very frustrating!!

5. My school uses an online resource. It has a number of assemblies that are specificlly written to support the delivery of SEAL and Emotional Development in children. It even comes with PowerPoints so the children have something to look at during the assembly. You can get it by going here.

6. grr

grr

Hi Gemma

My school uses assembly box too. it's really good value for money. I'm the collective worship coordinator and it's really helped me. so many assemblies under all categories like religion, international days, SEAL stuff. It's brilliant. and it has an interactive calendar which tells you the festivals etc that are coming up. Even has a good black history section.

hope this helps,

[​IMG]

7. Hi,

There are two SEAL assembly books avaliable via a site called teachingexpertise, they have got them for both primary and secondary schools you can find them here http://www.teachingexpertise.com/search/google?cx=014420112192009446918%3A9bykuclqai4&cof=FORID%3A11&query=seal+assemblies&op=Search&form_id=google_cse_searchbox_form#973

Hope that helps!

8. May be too late now, but I site I use often is www.myschoolassembly.co.uk. The resources are great - wide spread in terms of subject and all the assemblies are fully scripted. There are also class assembly scripts on there which may help.