1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sea Urchins - Something for the Weekend

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by steffiw, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Tim Johnson's face when discovering that he was eating sea urchin genetalia - absolutely fabulous!

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Didn't see it, but sea surchins are one of my absolute favourite foods...occasionally the fismonger on the little boatyard near us gets them in and I buy few up to snack on the instant I get home. Wy wife hates them, so it's a solitary feast with some good bread...wonderful.

3. Yes I saw this programme too. Wonder what it tastes like??

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

They taste like the smell of the sea! Something like oysters but with a sweetness that is similar to that of scallops.

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

My husband swears that the best way to eat a scallop is fresh out of the sea, opened and scoffed raw. He used to do this all the time when he was on the boats.
    He'll happily sit and eat a dozen oysters and he used to pick winkles and cook them in an old bean can over a fire on the beach when he was a lad.
    Only thing he can't eat is crustaceans (allergic), which is a source of great frustration.
    Must ask him if he's ever tried sea urchins.