1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sea trout

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by inky, Feb 5, 2012.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

It's my favourite fish, though I've only eaten it [in Galway] a few times.
    Obviously, I wanted to find out a bit about this gorgeous fish but the information is so confusing that I'm not much the wiser after my little researches.
    There are fish experts out there, I know there are...

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Don't know much about the biology of sea trout, but I do remember my Dad used to fish for them. We treated them very much like you would a salmon.
    Delicious!

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Better than salmon, imo.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I love sea trout. Sewin, as it's known in my homeland, where it's particularly good. Lighter in texture and more subtly flavoured than salmon, and far superior to freshwater trout (I'm not keen on trout unless river-dwelling. Lake trout tastes of mud, IMO), it costs a king's ransom but is worth it. It's under pressure at the moment, mind, do get line-caught or organically farmed if you're going to get it.
    It's only distantly related to salmon, despite the resemblence. In fact, a sea trout is a brown trout, despite the lack of resemblence! They start off life hatching as brown trout in some river somewhere, and something in the sea-trout-to-be makes them head out to sea, wheras other hatchlings from the same batch will stay in the river system. During their migration and growth, they become the spotted silver they remain as adults, and also develop their gills to cope with salt water as they reach the estuaries and tidal waters. They have much richer, fishier diets at sea which is why they grow so much bigger than their muddier, insect eating siblings.
    I love them simply cooked. Poached in a court bouillon with a light sauce. Maybe a sorrel sauce or cucumber or creamed spinach. With some cockles, to enhance the Welsh experience! Or lightly fried, with some nice mushrooms - girolles or chanterelles. Also nice roasted. Also as sashimi!

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm fascinated by the fact that they go out to sea. That's what makes them so delicious, of course - all that brine, open water and exercise.
    mmm, sorrel sauce. Sounds good, thought I wouldn't do anything more complicated with a sea trout.
    To all you tessers who haven't yet tasted sea trout, grab one the first time you get the chance.
    Nick, I'm about to look up Sewin.

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Me too. The fact that they're seemingly predisposed to head out to sea whilst most of of their siblings stay put. Isn't nature brilliant?!

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

sod its history

just cook it well!

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm not sure trout thrive in still water such as lakes nick. My late Dad, who was a great fly fisherman, his passion, always told me trout needed running water to thrive. But I agree, the only trout worth eating IMO are wild brown trout (other than sea trout which my Dad always said you catch 'by accident' as they don't stick around much, only returning to rivers to spawn). Rainbow trout are tasteless in comparison.

9. Oh, nick if only you lived a little (okay, a lot!) closer to us! Mr M fishes for sea trout & salmon and we give a lot away to friends & neighbours, as we just don't have the room in the freezer.
    It is a delicious fish and I agree with inky that it's better than salmon.