1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SDP

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by tigerella, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Does anyone have a SDP they would be willing to share with me? I have 'inherited' a most unwieldy, massive doc that is crushing our tiny rural primary.
    We were rated good with outstanding last Ofsted in 2008 so are expecting another soon-ish
    need a bit of a quick fix really!
    Please? Ta

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If Ofsted is imminent, writing a new School Improvement Plan (which is what the preferred name is these days) won't do it, as that's just a document.
    You need to sit down with all relevent parties and identify what the absolute priorities for improving the school are - the format is the least of your concerns. if there's too much in the document you've inherited, just prune a load of it out, or re-do it and mark the non-urgent issues with 'postponed' or some such phrase.

3. bnm

bnm

Decide as a school what the 3 most important things are that you need to change/improve (ie increase number of boys achieving Level 5 writing).
    Do a clear analysis of current situation.
    Decide precisely what actions are going to be taking to achieve your goal, by whom, by when and who and how the actions will be monitored and evaluated.
    Those are the important bits of the development/improvement plan.
    Mine is in chapters
    1. aims etc of school
    2. evaluation of school (summary of SEF, recent results and trends, outcomes of questionnaires, etc)
    3. Evaluation of previous SDP/SIP priorities (in brief)
    4. Outline of main developments (each one of these linked to a detailed action plan and evaluation of current situation)
    5. Summary of other developments intended and who responsible for them

In total, about 20 pages (large primary school). Formally evaluated each term.....more importantly, the basis of all staff development and SLT monitoring for the year.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How can you use someone else's SIP?
    You may as well go to the Chemists's and ask for someone else's medicine . . . .
    A personal analysis of strengths and weaknesses, then a prioritisation of the actions based on this. Means a few late nights and long weekends for you and the rest of the SLT, I'm afraid.
    Best wishes

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me is on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. I thoroughly agree with the processes described, a full analysis of where the school is and the success of the past work achieved is essential towards knowing how to move forward with your SIP.
    Don't forget about the forward planning as well, however. Knowing where you are will prompt the question, what can we achieve? and how can we get there? This ongoing process of regular self evaluation against these goals can inform several other areas within the schools also.
    Please don't consider this as a sales pitch however the system that I have for my SIP has helped extensively with streamlining all of the improvement and evaluation processes within my school and I like to encourage other schools to consider looking at it when I read of their problems with Improvement planning and Self Evaluation; its called www.bluewaveswift.co.uk