1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scripted lessons -in your school yet?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by emerald52, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

My schools are going in the opposite direction from this type of garbage. Some subjects don't even need to have any form of written plan any more.

It's about enabling your teachers and encouraging them to employ their own professional judgement, not demeaning them.

I've rarely been able to stick to my own plans, let alone someone else's...

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

That is exactly where this may lead. No need for qualified expensive teachers with pensions and sick pay. Instead a Mum's army will teach most subjects . Trained teachers will be SLT or exam groups only.

palmtree100 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. dleaf12

dleaf12 Occasional commenter

It's how they used to do it here in Victorian times too - a product of not enough teachers and class sizes over 50, so rote-learning was the order of the day.

I thought we'd rather moved on from there though, but maybe its all part of Rubber-lips' grand "back to the good ole days" masterplan.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

emerald52 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

I think it's a horrible, terrible idea.

But you know what? I'm that fed up, and near the end of my career, I almost feel like saying bring it on.

At least they can't observe a lesson and complain about the content any more, and I know behaviour is excellent.

Next stop, online testing and marking.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

One of the stupidest things I've heard of in education

Mindmeltingly stupid.

emerald52 and galerider123 like this.
  6. galerider123

galerider123 Occasional commenter

I doubt it. They're getting rid of all of them, hadn't you heard? Just new graduates (because we have so many of them now, don't you know).

emerald52 likes this.
  7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

[​IMG]

Perhaps the idea is to replace teachers with technology (the 'teaching machines' about which people speculated, in the 60s), and only employ lowly paid versions of the 'RoSLA deputies' to keep order.

grumpydogwoman and emerald52 like this.
  8. storifiedart

storifiedart New commenter

Scripted lessons?! Wow.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Surely a scripted lesson would only work if the pupils were also given a script?

PeterQuint and Scintillant like this.
  10. Kamit

Kamit New commenter

I had a big rant about this earlier in the summer. It is the inevitable, inevitable, result of the direction of travel.

When people buy the idea that education is just the passing on of measurable facts from Adult>Child, and that the only thing that matters is that these facts can be reproduced quickly and accurately, then the battle has been lost.

Because there will come a point when all that needs to happen is these key facts be boiled down, drilled into children, and tested repeatedly until they are reproduced on demand. Hence zero tolerance, scripted lessons, and coming soon computer based testing (these will be branded as fun apps). And you won't need qualified teachers for any of this.

Accept the definition and lose the battle.

emerald52 likes this.
  11. themidlander

themidlander New commenter

Is there any actual literature on this or has some swivel-eyed MP said it? Would be shameful if this was anything other than the latter.

12. lulu57

lulu57 Senior commenter

Any teacher who has to read a script gives the impression that they don't know their stuff...and we know what some children do when they smell a whiff of weakness...

Pomz, peter12171 and emerald52 like this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It won't be teachers though.

It'll be random folks dragged in from the street.

emerald52 likes this.
  14. drek

drek Lead commenter

On the other hand if the person who wrote the script has incorporated '5 levels' of differentiation which is a key factor in increasing my workload, they can't blame anyone else nor performance manage anyone out of jobs if it doesn't have any effect on 'progress and 'behaviour'.

They'll have to fire themselves lol

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  15. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

You can be sure observations would be based on sticking to the scrpt! Probably via cameras in each classroom so SLT could home in on several at one time.

Alldone and grumpydogwoman like this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If they have cameras then they only need one person reading the script, then it could be fed live into the other classrooms.

In the 70s I worked in a teacher training college. One of the lecturers often fancied a week off and so would video his lectures and then each class would have to go to the theatre to sit and watch in glorious black and white.

saluki, emerald52 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  17. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

You can be sure that there are companies planning this. All lectures on line, delivered to pupil ipad and electronic testing. A call centre will be there to answer queries.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

Even better - have the children stay at home and be educated on line. Then you could close all the schools - think of the savings.

emerald52 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  19. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

This has already existed for a while... i-Tunes U

20. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Where has your HT been for the last five years???

So many school leaders seem forever stuck behind the curve...