1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scripted lessons -in your school yet?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by emerald52, Sep 5, 2017.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Just read about another way to de-professionalise teaching. Scripted lessons, like a call centre employee. Anyone doing it? Would you do I?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If I got to write the script!!! ;)

What happens if you go off piste?

I'm glad to say (with regard to teaching):

Regrets, I've had a few
    But then again, too few to mention
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course
    Each careful step along the byway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
    When I bit off more than I could chew
    But through it all, when there was doubt
    I ate it up and spit it out
    I faced it all and I stood tall
    And did it my way

3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Here's a weird thing I've noticed about kids. They ask questions you don't expect. What to do in that situation???

4. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Exactly! What a load of nonsense!

Pomz, peggylu and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Then the 'performance manager' observing you criticises you for not anticipating the question in your lesson plan!

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A school I taught in for a while had those - because they had had so much supply it made things easier.

emerald52 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. galerider123

galerider123 Occasional commenter

So an acting job where you have to learn your lines every evening and pretend to be a teacher...?

grumpydogwoman, emerald52 and peggylu like this.
  8. peter12171

peter12171 Senior commenter

My last full time post, where I was advised to resign in order to complete my NQT year elsewher, had something similar. There were lessons on the system to use, but I decided to do one of my own, which fitted into the scheme of work. At my mentor meeting afterwards the first question was 'why didn't you use the lesson on the system?'. Not exactly conducive to developing a teaching style.

9. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Established commenter

Just like an episode educating Manchester, maybe I'm being unkind. Schools are not businesses and as already said they are filled with human beings who are indidividuals and they do ask questions. A school that goes down this route , does not care about its clients (pupils) and is probably a bad school.

10. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Not really acting but you have everything set out so you do not do your own lesson plans. Call centre workers have to refer to someone higher if they can't answer the question so maybe HODs would have to be non teaching? No need tk be a mathematician to teach maths.

galerider123 likes this.
  11. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

A good many years ago now ( early naugties) I worked for a HoD who wanted a whole file of lessons prepared on script type basis. She told me it was my job to write and file every lesson plan in detail together with resources and worksheets etc. ..... she then said in passing one day that when she had all my lessons plans she would get rid of me and get someone cheaper. because once she had the plans any "fool" ( her word) could take the classes.

I now make a point of removing all my resources from the school system and paper files before I leave a job - or even these days, I keep them on a pen drive or external hard drive. I have not been paid to make these resources, I do them at home and in my own time

emerald52 and saluki like this.
  12. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

Well, how about " I mam sorry that question is not on my script" or " I am not programmed to respind in that area" ( after all it makes us little more than computers on legs doesnt it?).

emerald52 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  13. galerider123

galerider123 Occasional commenter

Anyone who thinks that scripts are the way forward, on any but the most basic level, are fooling themselves.
    Having good medium to long term plans help, as they can help navigate the timing of everything that needs to be done.
    It is actually an affront to the profession of teaching, in my opinion.

HA HA Ha Ha ha ha ha ah ah aah aaaaah.
    :mad::mad:

emerald52 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

That's the crux of it though.

Nobody with a maths degree is daft enough to teach maths!!! Why would you.

So give those teachers of Humanities and Arts a script for maths! They don't need to be 'got rid of' and you don't need to pay a golden hello to get maths graduates! SORTED.

emerald52 likes this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Very droll! Sadly too few teachers these days are allowed to do it their way. More a Pythonesque case of 'We Are All Individuals' now....
    I had no idea you knew my former deputy head. You're very lucky. She rarely posed for such pictures as the one in your avatar, and you've really brought out the best in her hair and profile...!

emerald52 likes this.
  16. Mrsmumbles

It's a case of the SLT way or the highway. What a colossal clatter of bells.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Up till 2010, what I did in that situation was adapt the lesson on the hoof and have some of the most enjoyable and educational discussions with the students. It's learning, innit?

18. saluki

saluki Established commenter

I once taught supply where I was issued with a powerpoint to read from for 6 weeks, with exercises built in. Money for old rope really. If a kid asked a question I did know the answer.
    I was supposed to team teach with someone this term. When I told them they had got to plan their own resources they asked if they could team teach with someone else. I have learned how to say no and to stop people leaching off me. (certainly took me long enough)

19. grumpydogwoman

I never even kept my own resources from year to year.

I always reinvented them as I got bored otherwise and I liked to keep things fresh. I'd go crazy with a script. I just couldn't do it.

spin-collective-i-am-not-a-robot2.1461205263.jpg

20. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Lessons were more or less scripted when I worked in Africa. The argument being that as teachers were basically school leavers all they needed to be able to do was read the 'script' .

emerald52 likes this.