1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Script- theme of celebration? Help?!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by foxys_folk_faced, Jun 9, 2016.

1. foxys_folk_faced

foxys_folk_faced New commenter

I am currently delivering GCSE Performing Arts and 2 of the students want to do Acting as their skill for the unit 2 externally assessed unit next year. They have to perform a duologue lasting around 8-10 minutes and on the very wide theme of 'Celebration'.

Can anyone recommend a good script which may fit this theme at all? I don't think the students are high enough ability to create their own so would like to give them something or at least find something I could adapt for them.

Any ideas most appreciated!!!

2. lilycorrigan

lilycorrigan New commenter

If the students are girls I'd give them something like "Top Girls" by Carol Churchill or from "Gypsy" (Based on the memoirs of Gypsy rose Lee). If the students are boys I'd give them something like "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

Having said that though, from experience it's better to let them come up with their own script because it's their GCSE's at the end of the day and sixth forms and colleges and even universities expect that students will have already gained insights into improv, script work, writing etc.

The first thing I would do is ask them to do is on an A3 paper write down all the things that are linked to the word "Celebration". Then get them to circle the things that jump out at them and things that they'd like to explore further. Once that's done they'll start getting ideas in place of locations, characters, sets, costumes etc. It will all flow in place if you let it. Let their imagination run wild. They sound really serious about doing acting for this assessment so let them do their own thing, and be there for them when they have questions. This makes you a better teacher for it because you are open to the idea and you're letting them have the freedom to write, direct, etc.

Good Luck