1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Screen Printing

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ArtistS4, May 6, 2012.

1. ArtistS4

ArtistS4 New commenter

Hi everyone.

I am having to plan and give my first ever screen printing lessons with 3 and a half year olds. Any ideas on what I could do? Any tips would be much appreciated! Thank you.

2. Why do you have to use this technique in nursery? If printing is mandatory (??) then I would use potato prints, scratching into polystyrene type print blocks or any printing medium you have. Screen printing seems a bit extreme.

3. ArtistS4

ArtistS4 New commenter

It is what I've been told to do! I would have thought it a bit advanced for this age group (!) but have to plan and give lessons on what I'm told. Did screen printing years ago - can't really remember much about it.

4. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

You seem to be asked to do lots of rather strange things for 3 year olds in your setting. Would it be possible to visit some other settings in your area to see what type of activities they do and perhaps bring back some more appropriate ideas. Or perhaps go on some courses with your Leader as it sounds like she could benefit too.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Who is bullying you into doing inappropriate things? Have you expressed your reservations?

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sophie has posted before about being asked to do age-inappropriate things by her head of Early Years.
    Keep posting, Sophie. You need some support of the 'I'm not doing this because it's stupid' variety.
    xxx

7. Screen printing needs oil based inks I think otherwise it doesn't work but again it's years since I've done it. Oil based paints would be tricky with 3 year olds.

8. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Screen printing does work with poster paint, but because that dries so fast it does muck up the screens if you are not careful. I'd agree with others that something like potato printing - or even using commercially available printing pads would be much more practical. We do screen printing in our school, but only with the juniors because they need to have an understanding of why the process works in the way it does and they spend a lot of time designing and making their screens. Little children need much more "doing". If I were you, I'd put my foot down - what are they hoping the children will learn from this experience? In what way will the children be using their creativity? What choices will the children be making?

9. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I tell you what this age group would love - printing with found objects. Stickle bricks, cotton reels, mobilo, polym, toothbrushes, sticks, leaves .....