1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scream!!! Tragic events in London on Saturday being denied!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Jun 6, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I am astounded! Shocked! deeply upset that we had to speak to our students as rumours are going around saying that the tragic events that occurred in London last Saturday are a hoax.

Even more disturbing was when someone whom I thought was a well rounded individual, showed me a video of group of men getting changed into police uniform as evidence that it was a hoax. What the Hell is wrong with people these days?

2. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

HEYYYY! The world is flat!
    Whatchagonnado?

FrankWolley and rosievoice like this.
  3. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Hope that people do not use the distress and pain of others to spout such horrible things. If we become blasé and see this behaviour as ok, then we will start to descend into a horrid, insensitive society.:(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Shaddap You Face

rosievoice likes this.
  5. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Delma, think of your blood pressure. These ridiculous creatures are not worth your time.
    Go and have a gin and tonic.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

And if, heaven forbid, something equally as terrible happens in their "neck of the woods" they would be the first to cry "Why weren't we warned?".

Dragonlady30 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I can feel a PCSHE lesson on fake news coming soon.....Can include Trump...

8. Calpurnia99

Consider it SHADDAPPED!

calamansi likes this.
  9. Calpurnia99

I'm still conflicted about all these innocent victims. Who might the guilty victims have been? Or is any victim per se innocent?

InkyP likes this.
  10. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

There seems to be a trend to believe in conspiracies rather that what is being presented:

Sandy Hook shooting
    On December 14, 2012, the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting occurred. The perpetrator, Adam Lanza, fatally shot his mother before murdering 20 students and six staff members at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, and later committing suicide.[1] A number of fringe figures have promoted conspiracy theories that doubt or dispute what occurred at Sandy Hook. Various conspiracy theorists have claimed, for example, that the massacre was actually orchestrated by the U.S. Government as part of an elaborate plot to promote stricter gun control laws.[2] Other conspiracy theorists, such as Alex Jones, deny that the massacre actually occurred, asserting that it was "completely fake

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Hook_Elementary_School_shooting_conspiracy_theories

Of what use it is to those who propose it, I do not know.

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

The world is full of idiots and many of them inhabit Reddit

And no I won't provide a link

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

If the perpetrator dies is that not a guilty victim? Is the perpetrator not a victim even if he dies trying to get away?

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've been shocked into sience by some of the claims on facebook I've read from someone I previously thought of as of fairly normal intelligence. A science teacher in fact!

first claim was that a specific politician had masterminded it supposedly to get reelected on Thursday. ( i won't say which) I had to reread the post repeatedly before I believed she was actually serious, and was genuinely accusing this MP of actual murder.

Now she is one of those claiming the video of the police getting changed actually shows they were dressing up to act out different parts in a fake drama.

Needless to say, I no longer consider her to be either sane, or a friend.

however, I'm keeping her on as a facebook friend as my source of information about what the loony fringe are saying.

Needless to say, she lives hundreds of miles away, whereas I have colleagues who were there, and whos families have been directly affected.

sabrinakat and emerald52 like this.
  14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am relieved to see that none of my Facebook contacts have so far shared such ridiculous codswallop.

foxtail3 likes this.
  15. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

But why does the flag blow on the moon if there's supposedly no wind?

CraigCarterSmith and palmtree100 like this.
  16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's all part of the cover up resulting from certain members of the Royal Family sanctioning the assassination of Diana.

palmtree100 and emerald52 like this.
  17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's caused by all the hot air escaping from conspiracy theorists on earth that does it. ;)

18. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

Maybe the same colleague, also a science teacher, that I once overheard explaining the healing power of crystals to Year 11. Seriously.

dunnocks and emerald52 like this.
  19. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

The answer my friend is it's not blowin' in the wind
    It's just moving due to the vibration of the pole

sabrinakat likes this.
  20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

From: https://www.quora.com/Since-there-i...lapping-in-pictures-of-the-first-Moon-landing

It was, indeed, waving. It just wasn't waving in the breeze because there is no atmosphere on the moon.

The flag they put on the moon has a metal rod running along the top, and when Neil Armstrong pushed it into the ground, he twisted it a little, which set the fabric into motion. The fabric hanging down from the rod acts like a pendulum, moving back and forth under its own momentum, restrained by the elasticity of the fabric attaching it to the rod above. The result is that the fabric undulates or ripples rhythmically, while the stiffness of the fabric resisting deformation gradually slows it.

On Earth, things have to be relatively heavy or compact to swing like pendulums, because air resistance stops anything, like a flag, that's too bulky or too light to have enough momentum to push through it. But these images didn't come from Earth.

If there's something counterintuitive about a flag swinging around like a pendulum, that's only because we're not used to seeing things move around in a true vacuum or under reduced gravity (or, for that matter, seeing flags attached to rods on two sides).

Intuitively, seeing a flag waving like this, it's easy to jump to the conclusion that it must be due to wind (because when flags move like this in our everyday life, it is because of wind), but in this case, on the moon, it's not.

There's a very good reason that the footage you see of a moon flag waving always occurs at the moment an astronaut first puts it into the ground or immediately after. As it turns out, after a moon flag's initial motion dies down, it remains stock-still, just as you'd expect in a windless environment.