1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scream if like me you are feeling grumpy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Oct 14, 2017.

1. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Really. We hadn't noticed;):p

lanokia and red_observer like this.
  2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

lol

3. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

4. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I bet you do it everyone is feeling Grumpy... sorry old seven dwarf joke had to be outed.

6. needabreak

Call them jazz hands if you will. I doubt the deaf community do though... at least in the USA, not sure about BSL *think it's the same but can't rem, it's been a while.

Just checked... yes same...

If they had said they were being inclusive and had a BSL interpreter, I doubt many here *or there would object.

7. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Ah ok....:)

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I thought GDW would have posted to object!

josienig likes this.
  9. needabreak

To the dwarf innuendo or my typo? o_O

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

To the thread title.

Lara mfl 05 and needabreak like this.
  11. needabreak

Oh hahahaha missed that!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You're not the only one - so did I :oops:

needabreak likes this.
  13. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Yes, I do realise that. It started after my eldest was born and I believe it a manifestation of post natal depression. There was a time when I couldn't read anything, or listen to the news, or watch anything at all that had the slightest upsetting material because of how it affected me. I didn't leave the house for weeks because everything was terrifying and upsetting. It's obviously improved a lot and I've found ways of coping, and now I can watch the news for example, but I make sure I've got something lighthearted that I can flick to quickly just in case it all starts getting too much. And there's stuff that I just completely avoid. Horrors, thrillers, any news about kids. I don't get so many intrusive thoughts, or maybe I have learned not to pay attention to them as much. There's an image that keeps popping into my head at the moment which is linked to a headline that I read (I'd tell you what it was but it's horrible so I won't) and for the last couple of days it's been a real effort to keep suppressing it, but at the moment it's under control, if unpleasant. I know it's something that I can't avoid and that I need to deal with, but I don't get why anyone would want people who do struggle with intrusive thoughts and images to suffer, when all that's needed is to say 'this bit coming up is harrowing, so prepare yourself accordingly, and if you need to take a moment to compose yourself, that's fine'.

And to the second question, I'm not sure but possibly I guess. I might not be considered a sufficiently impartial juror. I'm not sure how it works in the UK, tbh. But I have been selected for jury duty 3 times. I was excused from the first because I was due to be out of the country for the next year. The second time I did it, when I was 7 months pregnant with my son and without any major anxiety about violence (neither case involved extreme violence anyway). The third time I was selected it was deferred initially because the dates I was given coincided with the due date of my 3rd child. They deferred it for 3 months, but I then asked to be excused as I was exclusively breastfeeding at the time and they agreed.

As I said, the module as a whole was going to be a) most relevant to my chosen career direction and b) mostly revolved around theoretical issues that wouldn't mean I'd be having to pour over detailed accounts of violence regularly. There were just two lectures, which were signposted in the summary we were given when selecting modules as containing distressing material. That was out of twelve lectures, so a combination of feeling like I was going to have sufficient warning to cope with the distressing content, and knowing that the majority of the course content would be relevant and interesting, meant that I felt it was the right choice. Most of it was about things like the validity of eye witness testimony, CCTV, rehabilitation programmes, juror selection, influence of media on trials/judgements, theories of sexual offending (no case studies so no graphic content), false accusations etc.

14. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Sorry, what was that? I just had to read that urgent text first... :D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

'Urgent text' - a contradiction in terms if ever I saw one. If it's urgent, ring.

16. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

I think if you don’t have day-to-day experience regarding mental health issues it is hard to comprehend how debilitating it can be. I work in a school where all the kids are SEMH. Some are - quite literally- broken. Of course they display this with their behaviour which is challenging at best and violent at worst. How many others are below the radar, barely managing in mainstream? It doesn’t bear thinking about.