1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scream if like me you are feeling grumpy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Oct 14, 2017.

1. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Orlrider, the Jeremy Bulger.stuff must have been harrowing. But you chose to do that course.

Calpurnia99 and nomad like this.
  2. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Is nobody going to try to cheer the OP up? you're a load of old miserablists.

needabreak likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Me too! :( What has become of our society? Too wrapped up in cotton wool.

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

This should cheer you up -

sbkrobson likes this.
  5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Well, really I chose to do a masters in psychology. Of the optional modules, I chose forensic psychology because I felt it was more appropriate for my desired career direction than the others available. Of those 12 lectures, only two - the youth offenders and the forensic profiling ones - used harrowing details of specific crimes as case studies. The trigger warnings meant that I didn't have to can an entire module for the sake of a small fraction of the subject matter covered and meant I all the other interesting stuff on the psychology of reparative justice etc was still available to me. I'm never going to be a forensic psychologist, but some of the other info covered was very pertinent to what I want to do.

I imagine it's similar in other courses. Students have no control over what is covered in each module, but that doesn't mean that people can't be a bit sensitive to the fact that some bits are more harrowing than others. And besides, no one is talking about skipping them or leaving them out, just giving people a heads up that a particular topic is coming up.

lizziescat likes this.
  6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Too busy competing for the title of head TES grump and forgetting it's the weekend and we are all still alive! :D:D:D *apologies to anyone in advance whose had a recent bereavement as I may sound flippant... But I'm not.

Just remember Del that negativity is contagious and in our profession we really can't let it get hold. Besides there's always someone worse off.

This is for you... It's a good tack tick for self preservation.

Smile though your... etc.;):)

7. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

I'm offended by jazz hands. I request we have completely silent lectures, lessons and assemblies ;) Less trauma :)

Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You are so affected by accounts of violence and yet you study forensic psychology???

o_O

Does not compute!

Calpurnia99 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Errrr....
    I think that's what everyone does.
    In my last school it was 'last level given +1 sub level.
    No one used the data (no one knew what it meant) so no harm done and teachers could then get back to .... well....... teaching.

peggylu, lanokia and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

This

I didn't realise I was doing something so controversial when I had to teach RE (option subject -so people 'knew' what they were getting). This covered topics of suicide, euthanasia (and thus progressive illnesses) divorce and torture. Of course I 'signposted'** potential sensitivities (and allowed opt out if necessary)

** it wasn't called that back then. It was just being aware of people's possible experiences.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This just goes to illustrate how useless data can be. :rolleyes:
    Data for data's sake is worth nothing, as opposed to the relevant and useful data which most teachers cover during the normal course of their teaching.

peggylu and lizziescat like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Precisely... I never use it! I have my own stuff I use to track the rotters but the data the school wants is not it.

UTTERLY useless...

peggylu likes this.
  13. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

14. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

#orkrider2 - do you recognise that you've fallen a bit outside the usual range of reactions to other people's tragedies? Do you think you could get out of jury service if you told them you found acounts of violence upsetting?

nomad likes this.
  15. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

@lanokia et al - data is my job now (i hate it). Nothing I input via over-stretched staff affects teaching and learning. It's all for the DfE, Ofsted, public reputation, ass-covering for SLT and the greater glory of the head. If the latter two don't like what's there, I have to do it again.

peggylu likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just makes it worse for me Cal! Way I see it, if it isn't helping teaching and learning I'm not interested.

peggylu and nomad like this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I was sat in a busy restaurant on Friday evening and I was the only person I could see who didn't use a mobile phone at any point during their time in there, apart from a tiny infant child. What is it with this desperate urge to be permanently connected to something else all the time? What's so bloody wrong with the here and now?

I despair of my fellow humans at times.

calamansi likes this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Maybe this will alleviate the grumps for 2 minutes.

needabreak and peggylu like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Because our lives are hollow and empty of course.

Doh!

:D

20. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I quite like being grumpy... ;)

racroesus likes this.