1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scream if like me you are feeling grumpy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Oct 14, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I have noticed that recently I am so fed up with aspects in society:

Constant bullying in schools: staff on staff
    Unreasonable request
    Those who get promoted and delegate their work to others
    People who moan about embarrassing situations on You tube - clearly not that embarrassed!
    Ex boyfriends who phone late evening to find out if you want to come over despite the fact that you have made it clear that you are not interested on numerous occasions
    People who do not pay their way - but have loads of money or more than I do
    Those who repeat what you say in meetings as if it is their own idea
    Violent thugs who hit their partners
    Lack of transparency
    My concern that I am more cross at the actresses who are now coming out and talking about Weinstein - I should be sympathetic
    My suspicion over the model that was kidnapped but appeared to put in front of the press at every occasion
    The family that despite being kidnapped would rather stay in Pakistan than get their children to safety as they are more concerned about themselves

There is so much that makes me cross at the moment that I am losing my ability to show empathy help me back to normality...What makes you want to scream?
    I am going back to bed:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

when people substitute reason for ego.
    We all know the best example of this is that Trump.
    But there are plenty of other examples.
    Myself too, we're all guilty.

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

People who don't correct their children's bad manners.

5. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Obnoxious, snowflake students who make false allegations because they don't like being told to get on with their work. Screaming.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I also want to scream in a First World sort of way (but don't) at food products that tell you how to eat them-
    Tear 'n' Share
    Grab 'n' Go
    Shake 'n' Eat

So I just Ignore 'n' Don't Buy.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The entire Generation Snowflake - those who want to break down in tears when they come across anything which they feel may 'offend them'. A generation that has been so coddled and that is so spineless that it is completely incapable of dealing with the harsh realities of the modern world.

The generation which needs 'safe spaces' in universities, where - for example - the National Union of Students in the University of East Anglia decided to ban clapping “as it might trigger trauma”, and asked students to use “jazz hands” instead. The generation where literary classics are now considered potentially “unsafe” for students to read. Reading lists at some UK universities are being adapted to come with warnings printed beside certain titles: The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald (Trigger: suicide, domestic abuse and graphic violence) and Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (Trigger: suicidal tendencies).

Just the other day it was reported that at Balliol, the Oxford College the Christian Union has been banned from its freshers’ fair on the grounds that it would be “alienating” for students of other religions, and constitute a “micro-aggression”. Freddy Potts, vice-president of Balliol’s Junior Common Room committee, said that if a representative from the Christian Union attended the fair, it could cause "potential harm" to freshers.

8. delmamerchant

Yes one must but it gets beaten out of you on a daily basis.

Laphroig likes this.
  9. delmamerchant

But as decent people we recognise what we do.

10. delmamerchant

:mad::mad::mad:

Lara mfl 05 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  11. delmamerchant

OMG! and do gooder staff who hang of their every untrue word,:mad::mad:

Calpurnia99 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  12. delmamerchant

I agree and scream at all of the above.

Lara mfl 05 and Laphroig like this.
  13. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

University of East Anglia banned clapping? Words fail me.

george1963 likes this.
  14. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

And yet students are clamouring to get into this sheethole of a University that is a front runner in the dissemination of complete nonsense such as this.:rolleyes:

15. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Maybe run a television show where you sack people for no reason and then run for president for a country despite lacking political experiences.

sabrinakat likes this.
  16. thekillers1

#********

17. thekillers1

Fcuking crapshoot.

18. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Now this I really find it hard to have a problem with. As someone who really REALLY struggles to read/watch/hear about violence - and by this I mean it affects me for days afterwards, I have intrusive thoughts and incredibly vivid visualisations of the acts described being carried out on my children, not being able to sleep because everytime I close my eyes I see the images again - I appreciate being warned if I'm going to be presented with stuff that includes violence and difficult situations because I need to prepare myself to minimise the effects afterwards.

Last year, when I was studying forensic psychology, we had an entire lecture on young offenders that centred around the Jamie Bulger case, which obviously contained incredibly harrowing and extremely distressing content. Had it not been for the fact that the lecturer approached it with a great deal of sensitivity, gave trigger warnings throughout, and made it clear that if anyone needed to take a break and step outside, that this was absolutely fine, I'm not sure I'd have been able to sit through it all. As it was, I made it through the whole lecture and was able to focus on what was actually being taught about the psychology of young offenders rather than becoming preoccupied with horrific intrusive thoughts about the events in that case.

I think most people would acknowledge that there needs to be more provision for mental health in this country. If part of that is acknowledging how being exposed to traumatic experiences, even in a second hand way, can really affect someone and putting in place mechanisms to combat that, then I don't see how it's a problem for anyone else. It's not about making people snowflakes, it's about making sure people aren't made to suffer because it's 'real life' or that's just how it's always been done, so toughen up.

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not the university itself, but the Students' Union.

And not just at the UEA...

A request came during the National Union of Students (NUS) Women's Conference in Solihull, West Midlands.

The NUS Women's Campaign tweeted: "Some delegates are requesting that we move to jazz hands rather than clapping, as it's triggering anxiety. Please be mindful!"

[​IMG]

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Data... data piddles me off.

Sat there on Friday entering data and not having a clue what to enter, what their targets were, what the relevancy of it was, what I was supposed to be basing it on.

And if I speak up... oh then it'll be my fault somehow... so I bite my tongue and enter a 4, not knowing what the hell a 4 is.