1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scratch

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by shenn, Jul 9, 2011.

1. shenn

shenn New commenter

I am planning to create a SOW for Scratch for Year 7 and the one for Gamemaker in Year 8 and I was wondering how you all go about delivering it

Do you get all the pupils to create the same game/program using tutorials or are they able to create their own?
    How much do get done?

Would it be better to do Scratch in both years and build on Year 7?
    Thanks in advance

2. http://eastonhome.co.uk/Scratch/index.htm

is what I use...

3. and
    http://eastonhome.co.uk/About/

to download it and put on your network with the owners permission

4. shenn

shenn New commenter

Yes I had looked at this site thanks
    So you get the whole class to create the same games using these tutorials?
    Do you have pupils who want/are able enough to make their own?

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

We run with the fish and shark game of mine in the resource bank, and yes they build that one which takes a lesson, then we give them more freedom afterwards to create their own. It works just fine and many go on to do other things outside of class, it's fairly easy for them to move on to othe rporjects once they get going. It is also noticeable, along with dance ejay 5 and sketchup that it's really the only tool that kids use outside of class for "fun" at our place. We have a couple of lads that have done quite extraordinary things with scratch that are far beyond my skill level.

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

@djphillips sorry to hijack this thread but we use dance e-jay in my primary school, mainly in computer club, and have the same sort of experience of children opting to use it when they get a choice (the Internet never being a choice). I would like to use it in planned lessons but have had little time to get to know it - particularly all of the additional editing features beyond the 16 track sequencer. Have you by any chance seen any help guides or instructional videos (or perchance made any??? I know you do that sort of thing).

7. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

tis done and can be found here
    video 2 quality is down a touch, don't know why but raw video was 1.2gb and to get it down to suitable file size took some chopping around

8. To go back to the original post; we use Scratch for the programming unit in Year 7 and Alice in the programming unit in Year 8 to break it up a bit and they are both free.
    www.gr82bgeeky.co.uk is great for both for general lesson resources.
    We tend to theme each lesson with programming concepts in both years; Development, Functions, Variables, Sequences & Operators (in more detail in Year 8). Rather than get the students to create games using step by step instructions, we give them scenarios based on the material taught that lesson and they plan and create their own solutions. The units are about 6 lessons long.
    hope this helps :)

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

really appreciate you taking the time and trouble you have over this enquiry, DJ, only watched #3 so far - you could definitely polish that accent!!
    Many thanx, it ill be a great help to myself and our children.

Sorry again to scratch thread followers!