1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scratch query - changing levels

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by MIKELEYDON, May 8, 2012.

1. Am developing maze game
    Need to change levels by changing stage to next stage when cat, dig or whatever reaches the middle
    Just forgotten how to do it
    Any ideas?

2. Am developing maze game
    Need to change levels by changing stage to next stage when cat, dig or whatever reaches the middle
    Just forgotten how to do it
    Any ideas?

3. One of the joys of this kind of thing is that there are lots of solutions. Here is how I would tackle it:

Always make the character start from the same point.

Create a number of maps as 'backgrounds' for the stage.

On reaching the middle, tell the stage to move to the next background and tell the character to go back to the starting position.

As a more complex version, use a counter to keep track of what level you're on and an IF block to decide what position to send the character to.

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

One of the joys of this kind of thing is that there are lots of solutions. Here is how I would tackle it:

Always make the character start a level from the same point they finished the previous one.

Create a number of maps as 'backgrounds' for the stage.

On reaching the exit, tell the stage to move to the next background.
    [​IMG]

5. Interesting the way we all go. I demo to mine the creating of a sprite that they can "touch" and then broadcast an instruction to the background, which in turn can "receive" a switch to its background. Some pupils like to have touching colours but this can be problematic depending on the different backgrounds they use. The hiding of those "touched" sprites off the main area can be forgotten by some pupils causing issues. Ensuring their main sprite's out of the way and knowing/relocating where it is located at the start of the level is important.
    Today, the pupils evaluated each other's completed games. I always think they're working too slowly and not troubleshooting enough but they always suprise me with their final results and show me some new thinking every year.
    Edexcel GCSE and A Level all burnt and sent off today - hurrah! "Controlled Assessment has reduced my Value Added!" - discuss.
    Regard
    sch