1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scratch MIT online

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by richwatts, Apr 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. richwatts

richwatts New commenter

Hi
    I am starting to use scratch in my lessons. I am still unsure of what an end product will look like. I know you can make games and animations in scratch but what else could i get the kids to produce that seems worthwhile or educational.

Is anyone using it and what are people producing with Scratch.

2. cosybear

cosybear New commenter

The Scratch Wiki gives a list of lots of different hardware that can be controlled by Scratch

Really depends on what you got; what you want to do and, of course, what your budget is

3. cosybear

cosybear New commenter

4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

When I first started using Scratch with the children, I printed sets of Scratch cards to help them learn to code and get an idea of what's possible: https://scratch.mit.edu/info/cards The children then made various games, animations (e.g. animal/plant life cycles), short stories, artworks etc.

A couple of years later, I discovered https://studio.code.org This uses Blockly, which is very similar to Scratch and also free to use. I've used both with my Year 3 to 6 class. Having used Scratch first, they had no trouble at all in seeing that Blockly works in a very similar way. The examples on the website give a good idea of the art, stories, animations, games etc that it is possible to create. The advantage of using this site is that there are a range of stand alone activities as well as courses at four levels. We've used Course 1 with children aged 5-7 (who hadn't used Scratch) and Course 2 with the 8-12 year olds. It's free to create an account and you can set up your class and keep track of their progress. The children get their own log in and the site keeps track of where they got to in each session and directs them to the next task when they next log in - very useful when teaching a mixed age class as they can work at their own rate. They can also log in from home and carry on learning there. There are also some offline tasks designed to be used with the whole class. Most tasks are online (for individuals) and contain enough in the brief introduction for the children to be able to progress with little help.

The children cope well with both programming languages.

5. richwatts

richwatts New commenter

Thank you for some helpful comments and advice