1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scrapping written comments

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by rosaespanola, Jul 17, 2011.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

My school no longer does any written reports - we input pupils' current level and give them a number 1-4 (1 being excellent, 4 being unsatisfactory) for progress towards target, organisation, conduct & effort. That's all the parents get. It takes a massive amount of work off staff but as a teacher I often find it very difficult to decide what to give them (what if a pupil is excellent in some lessons and awful in others? What if they're well organised in terms of bringing equipment, but never do homework?) and I have my doubts about how useful it actually is. If I was a parent, I think I'd be unhappy with that and want something a bit more specific!

2. I can understand the desire to report purely quantitatively with numbers but children's achievements and behaviour are also qualitative and therefore never fully explained by numbers (why SATS as a stand alone measurement are fundamentally flawed).
    My school produces reports that include 4 approaches: words, grades for effort, tick scales for achievement ( strong - typical - help), and teacher assessment levels for core subjects thus covering all angles.
    As a teacher this is a lot of work. As a parent I am extremely well informed.
    I think a lot of rubbish can be written in reports but I think it is possible to 'cut the ****'. There is nothing more rewarding as a parent than reading the carefully chosen words of a teacher who obviously truly knows your child.