1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scrap university courses that don't offer a financial return

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46781569

Up to a quarter of students in England are doing degrees that will not give them sufficient earnings to justify the cost of their loans, a think tank says.

The centre-right group urges ministers to cut places on those courses offering little financial return and increase those in post-18 technical education.

Is education just about equipping students to earn money? How many graduates make successful careers in areas totally unrelated to their degree subject? Will choice be denied to students? Is this an attempt at social engineering?

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Lots of people do lots of courses for various reasons. Not everyone seeks a high personal income as part of their life. We should deny such people access to courses? What madness. Nanny state at its worse. Might as well be in a totalitarian regime like Singapore, China or... Oh. They like those countries don’t they?

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Hmm, the governing powers should be able to tell people what roles they have to do in life. Sounds like a plot for a book. No. Wait. It is!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Lots, which tends to make the degree a waste of 3 years other than a tolerable burden in order to have a predominantly carefree life away from home.

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

In this instance Tony Blair is to blame. A university education is not necessary for many forms of employment.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm fine with people studying for just a love of learning.

But it would be foolish to deny that for a big chunk of students the point is to secure a good career. Thing is the cap on student fees means that the more expensive courses to run don't expand as quickly as those that can be run on the cheap [relatively]. So a sociology course can be thrown together with a professor, a laptop and a teaching room.

But a medical, scientific or veterinary course costs a lot more to establish. University are disincentivised from running them and we have to poach doctors, vets, dentists and others from other countries, inflicting a skills shortage on the countries that operate a more realistic educational model.

les25paul and monicabilongame like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wish I'd done a vocational degree like my daughter did.

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Why stop with the Mickey Mouse courses?

I hope the same august body enquires why people are doing teacher training courses when schools prefer cheaper ones and all the graduates will last about 3 years anyway.

Actually I've just read the little financial return bit so teaching is definitely not cost-effective.

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Education is ruined. Even at degree level the concept of learning rather than getting a degree or passing an exam seems to have been abandoned. I didn't go to university to get a piece of paper that would give me access to jobs, I went because I wanted to learn about my subject. I wasn't that bothered about what class I got either.

That's an old-fashioned concept now. It's all about what result you get, however that is obtained. Buying an essay would have seemed pointless to me because I knew the reason for doing it in the first place, which was learning stuff not getting the mark. If a degree means you earn more then that's nice, but it's probably the person you are, who is capable of getting a degree, rather than the degree per se, which contributed the most to any higher earnings over your lifetime.

Children are indoctrinated to think that marks are what matter. They even see their teachers cheating to get them. Education has been devalued and impoverished, and most people now think it's a tool for earning more money and that's all. It doesn't actually matter if they know anything as long as they have a bit of paper that says they do.