1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scrap the police

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Abdul_Muttalib, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Abdul_Muttalib

Abdul_Muttalib New commenter

A movement has begun in the USA to defund the police. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/04/defund-the-police-us-george-floyd-budgets
    As the US police are a force of racial oppression this is right and proper. After the shameful scenes of police attacking POC protesters in London it is now clear the UK police need to be scrapped too. Cresida Dick, racist head of the London police, needs to be imprisoned. Individual communities should organise their own policing. No longer can POC stand to be oppressed by white police enforcing white laws.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So... are you saying Muslim police for Muslim areas and Jewish police for Jewish areas? Black police for black neighbourhoods?

Or do you mean that a local area might elect say a group of people... let's call them a council... and they employee individuals to enforce the laws... say... law officers... which is what we already do?

3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I think there’s a word for that...

jellycowfish and lizziescat like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I do think there is a case to be made for reforming sections of the US police, demilitarising them*... this whole neck restraint thing is way too much and needs to go... I saw a list of 8 things that can be implemented [sorry I don't have it to hand but I think another poster on here has it] and I agree with implementing all of them. Reforms along those lines would be good.

* though considering how heavily armed the US domestic population is, the militarisation of the police does make some sense. Not saying it's good but when you've got an armed population...

Sally006 likes this.
  5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

WB and nomad like this.
  6. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Let's not disband the police.
    It did not work well in Iraq.

artboyusa, WB and nomad like this.
  7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Not sure how small the ‘locality’ would be but how would my locally organised (amateur?) policing address the issue of organised crime, of national internet based fraud, of ‘county lines’, of international organised drug trade and people trafficking, of nationally promoted hate speech?

oh and how would we avoid a ‘post code lottery’ in the enforcement of certain laws over others or is the logic of this train of thought that we would have locally made Interpretation of laws based on the votes of the locals. So white-middle- class rural area has different policing to urban locality? Sound pretty divisive to me.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yes. What could possibly go wrong...

littlejackhorner and Laphroig like this.
  9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

The OP is so obviously a wind up. Best ignored imho.

10. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

Off topic a little but Rod Stewart's wife is going to train as a Police Officer.

Which is the cue for some dreadful puns,

Have you seen her in her uniform? She wears it well. :D

11. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

When is Mr Spoofer coming along to support the OP?

artboyusa, WB, nomad and 1 other person like this.
  12. Oscillatingass

Yep, Jackie Onasis has nothing on her.

abwdSTEM likes this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

How do posters spot this as trollery while ignoring the others, like Gene, and contributing to their threads?

14. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

A team of female bank robbers rob a bank, as they escape two of them, Mollie and Maggie, are arrested by PC Lancaster ( Rod Stewart's wife). She asks them who else was in the gang.

Mollie says "I aint going to grass on my mates, but Maggie May"

Sorry :oops:

needabreak, colpee, WB and 2 others like this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Cerberus, three headed dog of Greek mythology, was recruited into the police as a police dog. On encountering a criminal he said. "Allo! Allo! Allo!"

Ro13, jellycowfish, Ellakits and 3 others like this.
  16. Oscillatingass

Loving it. Keep 'em coming. :D

17. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Scrappping was another name for fighting when I were a lad.

Scrapping the police was a regular occurrence for some folks.

The history of the police is quite telling. The idea predates the UK bobbies. The idea of a police was created in America as a cheaper way of controlling the slave population than using the Armed forces.

ajrowing likes this.
  18. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

I do not know Gene but I'm betting he is the one who when nobody is looking steals steals one of every pair of socks and disarranges cutlery drawers.
    What a bad lad.

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

As are all his/her posts.

20. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

[​IMG]

chelsea2 and lanokia like this.