1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scrap the DofE?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by lanokia, Dec 9, 2015.

?

Should the Department of Education be scrapped?

1. Option 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Option 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Option 3

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. Option 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Option 1... it is a valuable aspect of government co-ordinating education policy across the nation with educated, experienced civil servants working for the best interests of young people and preparing them for the world of work.

Option 2 ... scrap just Ofsted and replace with regional teams of excellent practioners who would work with teachers to raise standards in schools.

Option 3... scrap the whole DofE, the post of Minister and Ofsted. Have Local Authorities tasked with the job of supporting and maintaining local schools. Funding to be managed directly through the Treasury.

Option 4 ... other. Which you then outline in a post.

I suspect Option 4 will win out. But interested to see. To me the DofE is just a chunk of bureaucracy wasting money and piling on workload pressure with no tangible gain.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/482564/Myths_and_facts.pdf
    It cannot be staffed by civil servants as every single statement it has issued is fully party political, contains extreme confirmation bias and is wholly subjective rather than objective. It cannot be anything other than a party political wing of the Conservative party staffed by SPADs.m

For example, Russell Hobby says his headteachers report difficulties recruiting. The DofE response? A party political denial of his statement.
    People criticise The DofE's micro management of schools? The DofE issues a 'fact' sheet containing refuting party political opinions to perceived 'myths'.

To disband the DofE would be to disband a powerful wing of the Conservative party and they would never let that happen.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Am I the only one who thought the title meant the Duke of Edinburgh award?:oops::oops::oops:

Kartoshka likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well now you've said that! :)

5. lizziescat

Ahh I see a whole new thread coming:)

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Two votes? Sheesh

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry, Lanokia. The options didn't make it onto the ballot paper.
    Tempting to abolish the lot of them. Can we abolish former secretaries of state retrospectively?

8. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

I thought so too. My one excuse a year to get the tent out.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh has there ever been a 'good' secretary of state? Have to go back quite a long way.

10. lizziescat

I was once told about a SoS who was in his office by 7.30 each morning and if you rang the dept at that time he would be the one to answer the phone.

11. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

Yeah. Scrap 'em! Any option you like.