1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scrap ICT after IGCSE and immediately replace it with Computer Science at A Level

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by CaseBusy, Nov 25, 2015.

1. CaseBusy

CaseBusy New commenter

hi

I'm currently teaching the cambridge (CIE) ICT IGCSE course, I teach abroad and they do it in 1 year rather than 2

For A-Level, they have now made a decision to scrap Applied ICT (CIE) and replace it with Computer Science, (I have no say in it). so the students will be switching from ICT to computer science

I have read some of the comments on the forums regarding what you need to learn, however I was wondering if anybody had any resources to share for A level CS? If I stay it is going to be a major struggle, I would be appreciate anything I can get. There is nothing on the CIE website.

thanks

2. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Do you have an email address? I have the Cambridge A Level Scheme of Work that I can send you. As you'd expect from CIE, they haven't' made much themselves and a lot of the links to theory notes are to AQA Wikibooks but it's still helpful.

As for the difficulty of the course - I's say it's on the easier end of the scale. The programming is nice and simple. The theory isn't exactly difficult, but it is quite wide-randing. There's a lot in it

3. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

CIE's ICT course is a firm favourite for me (including the new spec which includes some nice additions), but they pulled something of a bait-and-switch with their IGCSE Comp Sci course, publishing a specification and scheme of work that is significantly thinner and easier than the new textbook that has just been published.

I'm now adding an awful lot of meat to the bones of the scheme of work they shared - jump at any help offered by TonyGT!

4. CaseBusy

CaseBusy New commenter

hello and thanks, I would appreciate any resources you may have :)

My email:

gheisameri@gmail.com

Thanks