1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scrap book learning journeys or iPad programs?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by 1ms111, Dec 1, 2018.

1. 1ms111

1ms111 New commenter

Scrapbook learning journeys or iPad programs for evidence collection and teacher assessment? Which is best?

Currently sat coding a hundred and one post it notes. New school does what I used to in my old school over five years ago. I miss 2simple and it's its effectiveness in supporting me with assessment, ensuring curriculum coverage, quick curriculum marking, easy share and teo way comms with parents. Why oh why am I having to stick on blue stickers for maths and spend hours sticking it all when I could print lovely books the parents and I used to love? Alongside a school made sugar paper folder with all the chns lively little art work pieces.

Does anyone else still have to do the scrap bookband postpit note arduous task too?! #frustratedteacher

2. chickenpatter1

chickenpatter1 New commenter

Thank dog no! We gave it up a couple of years ago and now i have my weekends back. It always used to take me nearly all of sunday and ruined saturday at the thought of it!

1ms111 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Plenty of school still use paper learning journeys.
    Given all your posts lately, it might be a good idea to look for a new school.

4. 1ms111

1ms111 New commenter

I'm on the hunt .......

5. 1ms111

1ms111 New commenter

I find it very frustrating having come from a forward thinking school to one so behind the times and who are not aware of simple legillegisl changes it seems.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Assuming you wanted to write something like legislative, then there is no legislation for electronic or paper journeys.

Many schools use one and many schools use the other.

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'd I'd oeoerhaos argue that it's the approach and amount in your school rather than whether or not it's electronic.
    I'm in the paper camp, I'm old fashioned and no longer in a setting. But our children owned their diaries, they stuck in the pictures and we revisited their learning together when I would scribe what they said. They could look at them together with friends any time they wanted. We built this time into our week. You can't do this in the same way with electronic diaries.
    It's interesting because I work with settings that have gone full circle back to paper as it's more personal.
    Each to their own eh?

Can you review what you are expected to do? You really don't need to record everything.

8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Oh eck, what on earth is oeoerhaos, it was meant to say perhaps. Goodness knows how predictive text made it something entirely different!

9. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

As a parent I really liked the online electronic version that my youngest's nursery adopted when she was there - with her having speech and communication problems the photos were a really good starting point to get her discussing what she'd been doing in nursery that day and a lot more immediate in that regard than paper based journeys were. Also meant I could print off some of the relevant observations to take to GPs and paediatricians when I was trying to prove that there was a developmental issue with her (there was one observation of her on the climbing frame and steps that was really good evidence for me as I recall) - just added weight to what we were saying (what we had been saying for 2 flipping years but that's another story...)

1ms111 likes this.
  10. 1ms111

1ms111 New commenter

Yes I preferred using electronic at my previous school. I could snap, write the OBS and code straight away. I spent until the early hours last night Trying to match observations to unclear pics I never took which mean nothing and then coding them with coloured dots. I open their learning journeys and they do not give me any indication of curriculum coverage and gaps. At least with 2simple I could see that on the program in a second.
    I did suggest having 2simple to ease on the workload for us teachers (I know the others intend to do two books a day over the Xmas hols) and have special books for the chn to take ownership over sticking in their work where they have met their challenges or anything they are proud of.
    Anyhow as suspected my colleagues went to local moderation and were embarrassed to be so slow and old fashioned when talking about curriculum coverage and looking for evidence based on coloured dots in a scrap book!
    And...
    Ofsted. Requires improvement. Don't like our leaenlea journeys. Our assessment is not fit for purpose apparently. As I suspected. Will they change it? I doubt it. They have just spent 6k on furniture instead. Logic?!